Talk

Advanced search

Blood in breastmilk?

(10 Posts)
RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 16:47:04

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Mon 28-Sep-09 16:49:11

The blood is more likely to be from her nipples.

I had this, ds used to throw up nasty amounts of blood after I'd fed him, because they cannot digest blood so it comes back. It was just from bleeding nipples
I gave up a few days later sad

TheMightyToosh Mon 28-Sep-09 16:50:16

Does she have sore/cracked nipples? Could be from her nipples rather than from the baby.

I think this is quite common in the early days - happened to me.

If in doubt, though, definitely best to ask the midwife.

TheMightyToosh Mon 28-Sep-09 16:51:28

The baby will be so much more efficient than your sis is at hand expressing, so even though there was no blood when she expressed, that doesn't necessarily mean that the baby won't have prompted some bleeding - they can suck very hard sometimes!

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 16:51:44

Message withdrawn

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 16:52:11

Message withdrawn

KnickersandVests Mon 28-Sep-09 16:57:27

I had this when my DD was about the same age, 3 days, I was so scared!

I was still in hospital and ran(as much as I could) from my bed to the nurses station and demanded someone sorted it out, quickly!

It was, as others have said, a bleeding nipple but like your sister I didn't have any outward signs of a cut just sore nipples. The midwife told me the cut could be further inside the nipple, where I couldn't see it.

It will heal quickly(the blood supply is very good) and she should continue to feed the baby through it. Better to suckle the baby than to express, the blood won't hurt the baby.

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 17:50:46

Message withdrawn

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 28-Sep-09 17:54:31

I was about to say exactly the same as everyone else has.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Mon 28-Sep-09 18:07:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now