Talk

Advanced search

How much EBM to leave?

(5 Posts)
BustleInYourHedgerow Mon 28-Sep-09 16:02:48

Hi all, just looking for some advice re EBM. Have to go away next week for two days so will be leaving 10 week old DS with DP. He generally feeds every 3.5 hours or so...Am thinking of leaving 4/5 oz of EBM per feed? Is this too little?

TIA

whomovedmychocolate Mon 28-Sep-09 17:09:58

That sounds about right.

NellyTheElephant Mon 28-Sep-09 20:00:05

Sounds about right (although at this age my DS would sometimes surprise me by taking 6 oz of EBM even though it was usually more like 5oz), but make sure you leave enough for an extra couple of feeds in case of spills or who knows what all else and buy a couple of emergency formula cartons to stash in the back of the cupboard in case of disaster (e.g. power cut and all milk in freezer being ruined) or you being unavoidably held up in returning or something. DH and I went to a wedding when DS was about 6 weeks and I left DS with my Mum, I was v glad I had left her the emergency formula cartons as some of the EBM got spilt, then she tried giving him and extra feed at one point as he was crying (he wasn't hungry but that used up one of the lots of milk I'd left) and so she did have to use the formula and was v glad it was there. He took it fine even though he'd never had it before (and didn't again for many months!).

Longtalljosie Mon 28-Sep-09 20:32:03

There's a formula for this (no, not that sort of formula grin)

Take your baby's weight (in pounds) and multiply by 2.5. Divide by the average number of feedings in a 24-hour period. This will equal the amount of mother's milk per feeding.

That said - I then used that formula, and DD choffed the lot and then looked at me and started rooting again! Might be worth trying out the amount as a feed and seeing if it satisfies him...

BustleInYourHedgerow Mon 28-Sep-09 23:05:27

Thanks everyone
shock at spilt milk Nelly, would be so annoyed!

Thanks for the formula Longtalljosie, think I will go by this
Thing is, DS is a greedy guts, (like his mother hmm) so drinks whatever amout I put in a bottle (and then pukes up whatever he didn't need in the first place...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now