Talk

Advanced search

Doc won't prescribe fluconazole... what now?

(7 Posts)
Picante Mon 28-Sep-09 14:20:09

She was really anti it - saying she'd spoken to consultant blah blah. She's given me the cream and gel for her and me... will that be enough? My nipples are v sore but I've also got that internal pain for an hour or so after feeding - I thought fluconazole was essential to get rid of that? What can I do?

Scorps Mon 28-Sep-09 14:21:30

A different GP, or ring your midwife? Did you take the BFN thrush leaflet with you?

I got my GP to prescribe it by taking leaflet with me. Thrush is horrid.

Picante Mon 28-Sep-09 14:37:11

My friend says I can take Canesten Duo and it will do the same job... anyone know if that's true?

Reallytired Mon 28-Sep-09 14:38:08

Have you tried acidophilis tablets and reducing sugar in your diet? I had exactly the same problem and I managed to beat thrush without fluconazole. A lot depends on how established the thrush infection is. If you and your baby are healthy then your immune system does stand a good chance of beating thrush with the cream and gel.

PacificDogwood Mon 28-Sep-09 14:46:25

The tablet in Canesten Due is Fluconazole but in a different (bigger) dose. It is designed to be taken as a one off when treating straight forward vaginal thrush.
For thrush in breast of BFing mum you should take if daily for 2-3 week, 50mg I think, from memory.
It does depend how affected you are, but is you have deep breast pain rather than just nipple pain, I would also suggest to see another dr. Does your baby also have oral thrush? She may need treating, too.
smile

funwithfondue Mon 28-Sep-09 14:58:05

That's terrible. Fluconazole is the only thing that gets rid of it, and gets rid of it fast (I know from bitter experience). My doctor also refused to prescribe it at first, until she did some research and brought her medical knowledge up to date.

Don't accept anything else, go elsewhere if you have to. Good luck, and I hope you get hold of it fast - tell them there's another human bring relying on your boobs being pain-free!

Ineedmorechocolatenow Mon 28-Sep-09 15:07:06

Phone your HV and get them to apply pressure. Have you got a breast-feeding drop-in group at your local hospital? Go and see them and as if they're aware of any way of getting a presciption.

this leaflet is worth printing and taking with you

Good luck. Thrush is miserable sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now