co-sleep - she can feed laying down

use a sling

don't do anything other than feed and rest

ActivityApple Mon 28-Sep-09 09:37:30

Message withdrawn

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 09:38:57

Message withdrawn

geordieminx Mon 28-Sep-09 09:39:14

Get naked, and get into bed with tv, magazines and plenty of snacks/nice juice etc.

Feed baby lying down so that they can dose togther, don't think about anything other than feeding baby - everything else can wait.

BertieBotts Mon 28-Sep-09 09:39:18

Stay in bed with the baby - have a babymoon - surround her with tissues, chocolate, comfort food, water, lansinoh, visitors can come up to see her (or be banned if she is feeling too selfconscious) and most of all, ban all clocks

tiktok Mon 28-Sep-09 09:40:09

No drying of nipples Not necessary and could hurt her.

Ask midwives for appropriate cream for soreness.

Keep the baby snuggled in to her.

She can rest with the baby in bed beside her - safe sleeping rules natch.

A bottle definitely does risk disrupting breastfeeding - it's not a predictor of breastfeeding cessation in every case, of course.

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 09:40:20

Message withdrawn

BertieBotts Mon 28-Sep-09 09:40:34

Oh yes as many supportive lovely people going up to see her as she wants (Take green + blacks!)

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 09:41:41

Message withdrawn

ActivityApple Mon 28-Sep-09 09:42:15

Message withdrawn

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 09:42:53

Message withdrawn

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 09:43:14

Message withdrawn

tiktok Mon 28-Sep-09 09:46:29

Shields are a tool, to be used with care, certainly, and not casually....they do have drawbacks, but in some cases they can help. I'd be worried about someone being given them before the milk comes in, have to say

onehitwonder Mon 28-Sep-09 09:48:39

Might be a good idea for her husband to get a savoy cabbage ready in the fridge in case she gets sore from engorgement when the milk does come in (mine was day 4). Good advice from www.kellymom.com on using them - I found it very soothing.

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 09:50:27

Message withdrawn

slushy06 Mon 28-Sep-09 09:51:32

I found the best help was some dvd box sets that I really liked so even though I could not sleep I had something to do.

Also I would tell dp to slow down on visitors as they can be very tiring just finding the energy to talk to them. Maybe only let people over that she is v comfortable with.

Also should not advise this but for the first few days I drank alot of tea or coke blush to give me energy (caffeine).

SparkleandShine Mon 28-Sep-09 09:51:38

sleep whenever she can, restrict visitors if shes tired

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 10:07:02

Message withdrawn

Ineedmorechocolatenow Mon 28-Sep-09 10:34:42

Sounds as though she is doing well. How lovely that her DH is so supportive.

I agree with fielding the visitors and letting her just feed and sleep in bed with lots of skin to skin. If she's knackered, DH (or you when you visit?) Could give her an hour's sleep baby-free while you get cuddles with LO downstairs...

Enjoy your cuddles xx

Ineedmorechocolatenow Mon 28-Sep-09 10:35:18

Oh and Lansinoh, Lansinoh, Lansinoh.......

mears Mon 28-Sep-09 10:39:22

If baby is feeding almost constantly and she is sore, would be a good idea to ensure baby is latched on properrly in a good position. Has a midwife watched a feed and advised?

Builde Mon 28-Sep-09 11:57:36

Poor sister.

Three days is a terrible day...milk coming in, hormonal excitement wearing off. Breasts feeling sore.

Has she got midwife help to get baby lacted on correctly. Reassure that is does get easier!

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 28-Sep-09 16:47:31

Auntie: are you allowed to post dniece's name? Have they decided? Did they go for Dorothy? [hopeful emoticon].

RealityIsAnAuntie Mon 28-Sep-09 16:50:44

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now