Talk

Advanced search

advice on introducing cup at 5 months

(12 Posts)
whatalongday Mon 28-Sep-09 08:40:58

hello

Like lots of people I cannot get baby to take a bottle and now want to introduce formula. Can anyone give advice on using a cup? sitting position etc. Also - will I be able to cut down on BF in the next 3 months or so if baby only gets milk from a cup?
thanks a lot for any advice.

whatalongday Mon 28-Sep-09 09:47:08

anyone?

kerryinmumbles Mon 28-Sep-09 10:00:57

I have exactly same problem with my 5 month old - won't take a bottle - is BF. I have had some success with a Tommy Tipee cup with handles - free flow so it goes everywhere but he can hold it - I help him - and some formulae goes down his throat and he is less shocked now than a week ago - He lies in his chair (bouncer recliner thing). I am off to buy a doide cup this morning - re BF I want to stop in a month or so aswell and I think I'll be stuck with BF until he's perhaps 8 months ..also I get formulae into him via baby rice very thin and like a soup! hope that helps x

Ineedmorechocolatenow Mon 28-Sep-09 10:04:41

Watching with interest. Plan to introduce 16 week old DD to the cup so I can leave her for longer than a few hours with some EBM. Not planning to give up BF til about a year, but no joy on the bottles so a cup is the way forward..... Bought a Tommee Tippee cup at the weekend, plan to introduce it to her this week with some EBM.

Good luck x

whatalongday Mon 28-Sep-09 13:20:20

I have tried today and noted that baby got upset if she was on my lap and tried to offer cup (actually the top of a bottle) but did much better lying in a deck chair thing with me encouraging her. I think I am going to try to offer at the same time as 19mo gets meals so maybe baby can get the association.

anothercoldcupoftea Mon 28-Sep-09 13:30:20

Can I watch too? (this thread that is, not you feeding your baby!). Mine is 16 weeks and I would love to be able to share the feeding with DH (or anyone else who offers to give me break!)...

LittleMan Tue 29-Sep-09 20:22:08

Am also watching with interest, DD 17 weeks now and up until now has refused bottles. The thought of formula feeds from a cup though is hard, must take ages?

whatalongday Tue 29-Sep-09 20:30:27

I am persevering but baby does not like. Decided to sit her up a bit more as the deck chair thing is too laid back. Baby is doing her best to move her head around and not take the formula but she is swallowing some now. I have read very good things about the doidy cup so have ordered one of those and will hopefully receive in a day or so. Anyone out there who can help us?

scotlass Tue 29-Sep-09 21:36:07

My DS is nearly 24wks, exclusively bf just started offering baby rice and some solids (have given in and can't face holding out another 2 wks).

I've found over the last week offering him a bottle of cooled boiled water from a bottle with medium flow teat after his solid in his highchair reclined back has started to work. Am hoping he will get the hang of it in time for next week to have a bottle of ebm so I can go to the hairdressers.

Am definately seeing some progress with him accepting the bottle when he's in highchair and putting his hands up to the bottle rather than me holding him

whatalongday Wed 30-Sep-09 20:18:02

Today I have had some success - sitting baby much more upright and using a cup - she was much more happy and me encouraging her and singing etc and she did not keep turning her head away from the cup. I am getting a doidy cup hopefully tomorrow so will give that a go. I am offering the cup 3 times a day at mealtimes.

Rosebud05 Wed 30-Sep-09 22:09:35

My ds of 4 months also won't take a bottle and he seems to take milk best from a cup when he's held upright and his head is supported so that milk doesn't gush in. It's certainly quicker and less stressful than trying to get him to drink from a bottle. A bumbo seat could help, I guess?

whatalongday Sat 03-Oct-09 19:33:47

I have been using the Doidy cup now for 3 days and it is going well - baby is drinking from it and taking milk in so that is a positive start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now