Talk

Advanced search

Can i bf after using a bottle for 1 week?

(16 Posts)
PrammyMammy Sun 27-Sep-09 10:36:39

DD is 7 days today.
When she was born she refused to feed/latch for the first 12 hours, after that time the midwife suggested some formula, she refused this too but it was much easier to make her have some after the mw threatened a drip.
So she had been ff for a week, only taking tiny amounts when i forced her.
But Friday night onto yesterday she developed an appetite and was really hungry/feeding well.
My breasts are full and leaking, producing lots of milk. So last night i tried her again on the breast and she latched well and fed for about an hour. She has been using the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles, but didn't seem confused.
Can i start BFing her now? Is it too late? I BF ds, but he was hungry and let me. Is it okay to change milk from formula to breast?

expatinscotland Sun 27-Sep-09 10:39:03

YES! It's totally possible. It's not too late.

Keep feeding her. The more you feed, the more milk you'll produce.

Good job!

I had a chomped nipple after having DD2 and so fed her off one boob till I could see a BF counsellor who could properly help. She went 4 days feeding off just the one boob and then took to the other one just fine.

Dogwouldlikeanotherpup Sun 27-Sep-09 10:39:04

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sun 27-Sep-09 10:40:21

Can you tuck up in bed with her and just offer her boob?

PrettyCandles Sun 27-Sep-09 10:44:17

Yes, you can change. It#s really good that you feel so full and that she's keen to feed. Some babies just take a little while to 'wake up', not all are ravenous immediately.

If you possibl can, don't give her any more bottles. Just tuck yourselves up together, skin-to-skin, and feed as much and as often as she wants.

Take ds into bed with you too! Lots of cuddles and reading so that he feels included.

Ds1 went onto bottles at 2w, and I decided to relactate at 6w. Successfully! grin

Keep posting!

PrammyMammy Sun 27-Sep-09 10:47:38

Thank you, that was quick.

We have been in bed from about 6 until now just snuggling. She really isn't a hungry girl, a shock compared to my ds. But she is doing well, i was a bit surprised at how she managed without forcing.
I see a mw tomorrow, what should i say to her about it? During the week - on Wednesday i think, i asked her about pumping to bottle feed her the little drops she was taking, she nodded but didn't discuss it.

MrsSantosisafeminist Sun 27-Sep-09 11:51:37

It sounds like you are doing a brilliant job and your DD is keen to bf.... not so sure that your mw has been so brilliant hmm. Here's the NCT bf helpline 0300 330 0771 (free to call and no need to be a member). I think they might be able to put you in touch with a local bf counsellor. FWIW I think you are doing fantastically well but a little confidence boosting chat with someone who actually wants to help you bf your baby would be a good thing. She could also advise on the switch from bottle to breast. I have no idea how you go about that but it is definitely, definitely not too late smile

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 27-Sep-09 12:15:32

That sounds fantastic, I would just keep feeding her from the breast. It sounds as though you have milk so just offer the breast frequently. How many times has she fed since 6 this morning, is she still showing the hunger and feeding well?

I would definitely give the NCT line a call just for some support.
I would just say to your midwife that you're BFing now rather than FF. If your DD is gaining weight and alert and well in other respects then she can have no reason to object.

Well done, and happy BFing!

PrammyMammy Mon 28-Sep-09 00:06:15

Thank you again, i will call the NCT line tomorrow i think.
She has done well today (i think), has fed 4 times for about an hour each time and has fallen asleep on the breast each time, she is sleeping now, full up i hope.
She seems to enjoy the left side more.. can the milk taste different, or is it down to comfort? It takes her longer to latch on the right.

Ineedmorechocolatenow Mon 28-Sep-09 10:30:59

Well done... that's so fantastic. My DD had a preference early on, now at 16 weeks she likes either side. I think I found it easier to feed on my left so she sensed I was more relaxed and seemed more relaxed myself.

It would have been so easy to stick to the bottles, so it's fabulous that BF is working. Keep at it, your supply will increase the more she feeds....

xx

PrettyCandles Tue 29-Sep-09 10:36:05

How are you, Prammy?

It's quite common for babies to prefer one side to another. I don't know why - perhaps they are more comfortable on one side? They can also switch loyalties over time!

You might like to try holding her the opposite way on each breast, IYSWIM. In other words if you tend to feed with her lying across your body, then try rugby-hold on the right, so that she is feeding on both breasts with her body in the same position.

suwoo Tue 29-Sep-09 12:29:06

Congrats prammymammy. I've not seen your birth announcement have you done one? What have you called her? Well done with the bf, keep persevering x

PrammyMammy Wed 30-Sep-09 23:02:29

Hello everyone! :D
We are doing really well actually now. She is feeding so well, not a sleepy girl anymore.
I can't figure out the rugby hold lol.

Suwoo - How are you? How's Felix (if that is the name you stuck with?)
I didn't do an announcement, totally forgot. We called her Josie.

PrettyCandles Mon 05-Oct-09 09:43:02

That's good news. Have you had a chance to go to any breastfeeding support groups? Your HV should be able to give you a list, or you can search online (NCT, BfN, probably also ABM and LLL, depending on where you live). You can often take your toddler to these groups. You can Google for images of rubgy hold, but the best way to learn it is with one-to-one help.

TheShockoftheTwo Mon 05-Oct-09 10:54:42

Sounds so positive - just for extra reassurance, I know of several people who have gone from bottle to breast. Just keep on with the skin-on-skin and putting her to the breast every time she's hungry. You can always have a bottle on standby (tho you don;t have to), so that you're 100% relaxed about having milk whatever happens. Sounds like you don't need to worry though!
Definitely worth asking MW or HV for details of breastfeeding counsellor or drop-in sessions, and also calling helplines. I have used drop-ins and helplines and so reassuring.
Lots of women find one side easier than the other and am sure it's just that we are usually right or lefthanded so find it easier at first, and it eventally evens out as we get more experienced? I didn't have a side - though arguably, with two, I couldn't afford to! - and have mainly fed rugby ball style as tandem hold. Just takes practice.

www.theshockofthetwo.blogspot.com

PrammyMammy Sat 10-Oct-09 23:24:47

Hey, just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied. I saw my HV yesterday, she just ticked a BF box on my red book, she didn't really ask how i was getting on, but was happy that she is gaining weight.
I googled for bf groups in my area, there was one right next to me but it doesn't run anymore . We're doing well though, it's great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now