Talk

Advanced search

Can you have mastitis without the lumps ?

(8 Posts)
4andnotout Sat 26-Sep-09 16:56:26

I have been bfing dd4 for 11 months, last night i started to feel fluey, woke up in the night with high temp,shakes,and a lot of pain on a patch of my boob near my armpit. Have tried feeding from it and it seems to be flowing while bfing but won't flow hand expressing or with a hot compress. The patch of boob is red and agony but not lumpy, the nearest oput of hours doctor is miles away. It feels like when i had mastitis before but without the lumps.

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 26-Sep-09 17:09:58

I think that sounds remarkably mastitis like but obviously am not a GP nor looking at your bright red boob grin.

I have had mastitis quite a few times and never really had visible / touchable lumps as such - but the painful bit was usually bright red and hot. I always found it was proceeded by the horrible fluey symptoms - which often seemed to come out of the blue in the middle of the night.

I always go and get antibiotics but thats just my choice - other people have told me that if you dont and use all the self help measures then it will get better. I always felt too crap to take the risk though.

Much sympathy - feels awful doesnt it. Are you managing to feed from that side?

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Sat 26-Sep-09 17:19:59

I didn't have a lump as such with mastitis. Take some paracetamol, that should help with the fluey symptoms, and keep feeding from the painful breast.

I didn't take anti-biots as I seemed to head it off at the pass - I was very lucky I think.

I would probably call the GP if it doesn't seem to be getting any better, especially as the symptoms started last night.

Good luck xxx

4andnotout Sat 26-Sep-09 17:22:59

Yes i'm still feeding from that side, it is her favorite boob

Dp is very concerned as i haven't been able to eat much today just a slice of bread and a yogurt, that is totally unlike me grin

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 26-Sep-09 19:17:13

Every cloud has a silver lining then wink

I tend to go and get antibiotics if I feel ill with it - temperature, shaky etc. If it is just red, painful, lumpy etc then I try and get rid of it and it usually works (hot baths/ combing in shower etc.

I hope you feel better soon...nasty nasty nasty!

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Sun 27-Sep-09 07:28:02

I hope you're feeling better today?

4andnotout Sun 27-Sep-09 09:07:58

Yes I am feeling 100% better tis morning, the flu symptoms have gone I'm just left with sore boobs but dd4 is draining them ravenously!

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Sun 27-Sep-09 11:26:18

hurrah!

I found massaging/hand expressing the boob in the shower with the shower head running on it really helped with the blockage.

Also making a fist then with a rolling action back and forth, roll it down the boob. Hold the affected boob with one hand and use the other to massage/roll. Start well above the actual breast and work your way down.

Hope these help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now