Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Got a card through the post and I'm puzzled

(14 Posts)
Flower3545 Fri 25-Sep-09 17:40:09

Card came from my health visitor who plans to come out to see us next week for a "weaning visit"

What the hell is a weaning visit? Lo will be 15 weeks old when she visits BTW

Ooh I wish I'd opened the post earlier because it'll be Monday now before I can ask herangry

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Fri 25-Sep-09 17:41:01

probably a chance to discuss weaning? rather than telling you to wean at 15 weeks?

maybe a visit to ensure you are not weaning too early?

YouLukaStunning Fri 25-Sep-09 17:41:44

I too would be desperately wanting to call her - and cancel.

Flower3545 Fri 25-Sep-09 17:47:33

She knows full well, or she should do after all this time exactly what my feelings are on early weaning.

I don't do it, I won't do it and after caring for 80+ babies she knows me better than that.

I've never even heard of a weaning visit beforehmm

mazzystartled Fri 25-Sep-09 17:50:06

round here they come and have a little chat and talk about it with you - well in advance of the recommended time in the hopes of persuading those of the baby-rice-in-the-bottle point of view not to.

mazzystartled Fri 25-Sep-09 17:53:25

I liked all that stuff. I can almost guarantee you that the message will be about NOT weaning early rather than otherwise. Ours also did a cookery course (with great freebies - recipe book, fresh veggies, hand blender) which was lots of fun even though I BLW'd....

Catzee Fri 25-Sep-09 17:54:19

Yep I had one for these when DD was 4 months old. Just to give you advice on how to wean etc.

Lulumama Fri 25-Sep-09 18:00:54

maybe it was a standard card, and she will pop over and say, hi flower, i know you know all there is to know about weaning, but it is a new initiative so you got a card through the post anyway?

don't see the need to get angry about it TBH

Golda Fri 25-Sep-09 18:13:40

It will mean weaning as in starting solids, not weaning as in stopping bf.

Shoshe Fri 25-Sep-09 18:30:55

Oh dear Flower, is she some young pup, who you could do her job with your eyes closed?

A bit like teaching your Grandmother to suck eggs I would think coming to you!

Mummy369 Fri 25-Sep-09 21:05:04

Just to echo what everyone else is saying.

I'm sure the Health Visitor is going to chat about not weaning on to solids yet. And as mazzystartled mentioned - in some areas (commonly at the local children centres) they run cookery courses and recipe ideas for weaning. If you're feeling charitable you could offer your services! grin

Golda Sat 26-Sep-09 07:43:40

I've just worked out who you are so I can see your point now. I don't think it is a good idea for the HV to excluded people from visits because of their perceived experience though. FWIW I've had 3 of these visits and the official advice had changed quite a bit from the first to the third so I can see why they would want to speak to everyone. I knew the advice had changed but the HV couldn't know that I knew iykwim. It wouldn't be a good situation if the hv could decide that a person had looked after lots of babies so didn't need a visit, then later found out that the babies had all been weaned onto bisto at 8 weeks. I suppose their is an element of covering their backs to it.

tallyhopinkerton Sat 26-Sep-09 11:17:59

Another vote for a "damage limitation" visit. We had a weaning visit a couple of weeks ago and the message was pretty much "don't until six months". They must start weaning pretty early around here as DS was only about 12 weeks old.

Flower3545 Sun 27-Sep-09 09:50:46

Thanks everyone, perhaps it might have been better if the card had simply said "visit/check-up" then I would have just accepted it as a visit with advice (needed or not) about weaning.

I honestly don't feel as though I know everything about babies, thats the excitement of caring for them, there is always something new to learn, but I do know a fair bitwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now