Talk

Advanced search

Was it a huge mistake to have mercury fillings done in my teeth while b/feeding? VERY WORRIED

(15 Posts)
emkana Mon 06-Jun-05 22:45:19

A few weeks ago I had four mercury fillings done, one of them huge. I didn't question it at all at the time, but today I read something that made me realize that I might have made a huge mistake. Do I need to stop b/feeding now? Or will it be okay? Am really quite worried .

hewlettsdaughter Mon 06-Jun-05 22:47:38

emkana, I don't know specifically about this but remember you have to weigh risks against benefits. What was it you read?

moondog Mon 06-Jun-05 22:49:16

God no!! Why are you so freaked?
(If you're worried then I'm about to top myself concerning alcolhol consumption)

emkana Mon 06-Jun-05 22:50:29

I read that the Australian and the German government advise against having amalgam fillings done while breastfeeding.

moondog Mon 06-Jun-05 22:54:32

emkana,someone somewhere will always advise against something or other-the fact that you are bfeeding at all is a massive plus In the absence of more knowledgeable MNers,how about giving the Association for Breastfeeding Mothers a call? (Morning would be best as they are volunteers and its not urgent)

0870 401 7711

hewlettsdaughter Mon 06-Jun-05 22:54:46

But what's the evidence?

Surely if there's any risk, it's small and not worth worrying about.

Not that I'm belittling your worry, but there's so many things we could beat ourselves up about. We all need to give ourselves some slack, I reckon.

aloha Mon 06-Jun-05 22:55:09

I would still breastfeed. Some people think it could be harmful, others don't. There isn't really any evidence of harm.

hewlettsdaughter Mon 06-Jun-05 22:55:49

'somewhere will always advise against something or other' - exactly what I was trying to say moondog

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 22:56:05

I was advised to have the white fillings when I was pg but I don't know about BF.

chicagomum Mon 06-Jun-05 23:17:36

the benifits of bf are a much more important factor than any potential risk of passing mercury to your child(once the fillings are set there is really no evidence that any mercury leaks out) i don't recommend amalgam fills during pregnancy but not so concerned whilst bf, so i'd say cont bf definitely

emkana Mon 06-Jun-05 23:19:28

Thank you all.

Are you a dentist, chicagomum?

lunachic Mon 06-Jun-05 23:21:09

theres a thread on allergies about metal detox please read that as it has a small amount of advice on it

chicagomum Mon 06-Jun-05 23:25:09

guilty as charged

tiktok Mon 06-Jun-05 23:35:14

Great that chicagomum has given that reassurance....in addition, here's a paper that says it is not worth worrying about, and that there is more mercury in breastmilk from eating fish than in fillings : here

starlover Tue 07-Jun-05 16:54:21

i have loads of mercury fillings. I don't think there is really any problem having them whilst pregnant or b/f... the main problems come from having them removed.. if it isn't done properly... obviously if someone is drilling out loads of mercury amalgam then you will breathe/swallow some which CAN be more dangerous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now