Talk

Advanced search

BF at 16 wks -- My boobs now feel different! Is it my milk supply low, or is it my body becoming efficient?

(2 Posts)
LadyLotty Thu 24-Sep-09 20:29:41

I'm a first time mom so I've no idea on this one -- help me please!!

I've always had enough milk for my DD (who is a big baby, consistently at 75th percentile for weight and more than doubled his birth weight by 15 wks).

I've exclusively breast fed since DD was born, but from about a week ago I realised that rather than my feeling the usual breast engorgement at every few hourly intervals, my breasts have now become always permanently soft (i.e. not the gradually getting heavier and the balloon-like fullness!) Its almost as if the breasts are not storing and keeping the milk any more. Is that normal? Am I producing less milk? Or is my body becoming more efficient?

I look at my baby for signs -- he is sucking and eating his fingers a lot more, often just after he has finished feeding. I know he isn't starving (he doesn't cry for food, for instance) but I'm not sure whether he is also telling me he would like to eat more?? Am I providing enough? He also wakes 2-3 times during the night now, compared with just once, for feeds.

Is it time to think about weaning, or supplement with formula, or shall I just carry on with the increased wakings and soft breast feeds?

Sorry for all these questions!!!
Any thoughts?

whomovedmychocolate Thu 24-Sep-09 20:31:45

That's entirely normal. Sounds like he's teething. By 16 weeks your boobs are getting very efficient. I went from a J cup to an E by 16 weeks (not sure if that's a or a yet, will hold judgement till they decide on their final size!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now