Talk

Advanced search

I may be prescribed antidepressants soon, which are compatible with bf?

(11 Posts)
BertieBotts Thu 24-Sep-09 18:44:25

I'm in the process of leaving my abusive partner and have been advised to go to my GP who will refer me for counselling and possibly prescribe some kind of medication to help me cope with the stress. DS is nearly 1 so I imagine the doctor will assume I will be stopping bf then, but I want to carry on. So can anyone give me an idea or point me in the direction of some info about which are safe to take while bf?

goldenpeach Thu 24-Sep-09 18:59:05

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk.html

alittlebitshy Thu 24-Sep-09 20:53:46

I am taking sertraline. Have been since ds was about 8 months (he is now 14 months) and as far as i can tell, no probs at all.

they offered me seroxat first but i had issues about that as a result of things other people had experienced.

Good luck! Well done on leaving the abuse.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 24-Sep-09 21:02:07

I am on sertraline now whilst breastfeeding. I too was offered Seroxat first but after investigation would not take it. I then actually asked for Sertraline and the GP gave it to me but not sure I would have had it other wise.

alittlebitshy Thu 24-Sep-09 21:04:36

mmm yes hangingbelly. I think it confuses gps enough when you tell them you're NOT stopping bf to go on the meds, so they have enough trouble rustling up one... let alone a selection hmm. Not as it should be - but i have to admit it was thanks to threads on Mn that i was able to point out there were options!

IdrisTheDragon Thu 24-Sep-09 21:05:44

I took sertraline from being 12 weeks pregnant with DD until after I stopped breastfeeding her. No issues at all (she is a happy 4 year old )

Rhian82 Fri 25-Sep-09 13:33:01

Ooh, my GP just said that no anti-depressants were okay, and as DS is 11 months just encouraged me to stop instead hmm

Rhian82 Fri 25-Sep-09 13:38:05

Does anyone have a link for the studies referenced in the info sheet on sertraline? May have to go wave them at my GP!

BertieBotts Fri 25-Sep-09 13:47:15

Thanks all

Reallytired Fri 25-Sep-09 15:44:21

Sertaline is effective and safe for bf mums.
It did not harm my son in any way whatsoever.

Renwein Fri 25-Sep-09 16:19:49

I'm on lofepramine for PND, which isn't marked as safe on official stuff but, if you google it, there are studies saying that it is good for breastfeeding mums. I think that is because it has a short half-life - gone after five hours. I take mine in the evening as (before last night at least) my DS2 (nearly 15 weeks) was doing a good stretch of at least six hours from seven onwards. I have found it to be really good and am really beginning to enjoy DS2. I have a lot of confidence in my GP who is very pro breastfeeding and used to work in psychiatry before becoming a GP. I haven't noticed any effect in DS2 and he has continued to feed well, though might have been nice if he had turned a bit drowsy wink. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now