Talk

Advanced search

Do boys breastfeed more easily than girls?

(8 Posts)
VanillaIce Thu 24-Sep-09 14:06:06

Just wondering, on the whole, if this is considered to be the case? I know there will be lots of mums with boys who feed badly and girls who lap it up. I'm just asking if anyone knows if this is generally true? I'm having a boy and would like to try breastfeeding but all I read on MN are horror stories about nipples falling off!

Restrainedrabbit Thu 24-Sep-09 14:08:43

I've got one of each and they both have fed the same!! DS does bite more than DD did but that is because he teethed much earlier (at 11mths he has 10 teeth shock ) so is uses me as a teething ring.

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 24-Sep-09 14:09:02

Message withdrawn

choosyfloosy Thu 24-Sep-09 14:11:21

Have never heard any stats on this.

Why not start a thread asking for positive bf stories? There are millions of them out there, many so straightforward that they would never normally post on this board. Any board on MN is likely to highlight the problems, unfortunately!

Congratulations smile

shootfromthehip Thu 24-Sep-09 14:12:27

My DS fed much better than my DD- that may or may not have been as a result of him being my second child though as both he and I knew what we were doing more than the first time round.

On the nipples falling off thing- I think it is good to be realistic about how hard bfing can be- I think lots of people switch early days because they are shocked at how sore it is and think therefore they can't do it. It is bloody and painful for most people but doesn't last long. 'Tis better to be prepared imho.

jumblies Thu 24-Sep-09 14:14:33

I have a DD and she fed really easily but quite frequently. I am now expecting a DS and am hoping he will take to it just as smoothly.

FWIW, I never got sore nipples at all and although there are a lot of horror stories about cracked nipples I think most ppl only have these problems initially and if you get appropriate breastfeeding support early on you should be fine.

Good luck.

SachaF Thu 24-Sep-09 14:15:16

One boy and one girl here.

It was the girl that left me with painful nipples, I managed it for 7 months exclusively and then another 6 weeks mixed feeding. I was very pleased when I stopped but also very pleased I had kept going with her for all the various health benefits.

The boy would just be on for 45minutes and then doze off nicely (he's a terror now though!). Fed him until 13 months old.

Try it. you may have a real easy feeder. You may need to learn more about breastfeeding if you have a fussy feeder but do try it and don't give up too easily if it's what you want to do. It's a learning curve for both of you. Remember, for us it takes 6 weeks to change a habit so after a day or two I don't think people can really say 'oh I tried it but ...'. Also the latching is 'uncomfortable' when you first start but as they get older and as you get used to it it all becomes much easier.

PfftTheMagicDragon Thu 24-Sep-09 14:16:00

I found that my DS was a starving monster who ate contanntly and my DD was a restrained beautiful feeder who treated my nipple with repect. It was a revelation! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now