Talk

Advanced search

Teeth rubbing and digging in

(5 Posts)
peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 23-Sep-09 19:21:50

DD is 13 months old. I have had problems with her top teeth since they came through - I usually have deep teeth marks in my nipple after a feed which sometimes bleed and scab over. Strangely I have got used to this and it is like a dull pain when she feeds - not too bad.

She is teething at the moment at the bottom. She has two already which have never caused a problem. The last few days however they seem to be rubbing and pressing in and are razor sharp. She doesnt bite and doesnt mean to do it but we cant seem to find a position where they dont. She doesnt seem to be putting her tongue over her teeth.

Its really putting me off feeing as it feels like someone is taking a knife to my nipples. I have tried making her reattach but it doesnt solve the problem. I have gone back to basics with big open mouth etc but have run out of options.

Any ideas or just empathy?
xx

GruffaloMama Wed 23-Sep-09 21:03:31

Plenty of empathy. Hoping someone has some ideas as DS is 12 mths and we're having similar (though not as bad as your) problems. We have found that sometimes doing the feed with him sitting up on my lap, rather than lying down for a cradle hold (IYSWIM) works a bit better. Not exactly comfy but it moves his mouth into a different position which takes the pressure off the bit of the nipple that was getting sore.

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 24-Sep-09 17:44:39

Thats a good idea thank you - I will try later. The only position we could do once her top teeth was in was lying down together on the bed with her head tipped back as far as possible. Unfortunately that just pushes the bottom ones further in sad

Earlier I tried holding her chin down a bit if that makes sense - she didnt seem to mind much and could still feed...

Dibbdobb Sat 26-Sep-09 22:30:03

Also have problems with top teeth and she's had those since 8 months! Seems to vary from feed to feed even if I am careful with latch. I try to get as much in her mouth as possible with the nipple aimed to the top of her mouth. Sometimes works!

Montifer Sat 26-Sep-09 22:41:35

Ouch, lots of empathy.

I found some of the suggestions on here helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now