Talk

Advanced search

alcohol and breastfeeding..

(5 Posts)
BoogieWoo Wed 23-Sep-09 12:38:14

Can anyone help? I went out for the first time since having DD for our wedding anniversary. Had mum babysitting for 2 hours. I had 4 glasses of wine (yipee!) then gave her a bottle for next feed again. I'm not sure if the alcohol stays in your breast milk. I expressed the next morning and threw that milk down the sink. Was this necessary or does the alcohol disappear from your system making it safe to feed after a period of time?

Ooo that was long winded... does it make sense?

Mmmmcoffee Wed 23-Sep-09 12:47:06

Hi, not an expert here just a mum who's breastfed! I would have a glass of wine with dinner sometimes and breastfeed a couple of hours later, there was never any problem. Once - only once - we had friends come over unexpectedly and had a few drinks with them; I didn't have any formula and didn't realise I'd run out of frozen breast milk so I had to breastfeed about 3 hours after I'd had something like 4 scotch's. Poor baby was miserable all night, not crying but restless and wanting a cuddle.

When she started sleeping through the night, I was happy to have a couple of glasses of wine in the evening and still feed her the next day; never seemed to cause a problem and she's now 11 and top of her class so something's going right!

tiktok Wed 23-Sep-09 12:53:15

at chucking the milk away So not necessary

Boogie - search on this topic in the archives.

Alcohol disappears from milk at the same rate (ie quite quickly) as it disappears from your blood and in any case it's really a question of judgement about how much it matters anyway...have a look in archives anyway.

BoogieWoo Wed 23-Sep-09 16:54:15

Thanks guys - sound like I'm a complete alcoholic but, not so...every so often I'd like to think I deserved more than just a glass....9 month pregnancy was a long time!! Appreciate the comments.

Iggi999 Wed 23-Sep-09 22:48:59

My midwife at antenatal class told us we needed to "pump and dump". I already knew this was bollocks (imagine if we had to have a blood transfusion to get the alcohol out of bloodstream!) but I felt too intimidated to correct her. Stil regret that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now