Talk

Advanced search

Does mastitis affect the baby's poo?

(12 Posts)
Tinker Mon 06-Jun-05 17:03:32

Have developed mastitis over last day or so, which coincides with baby having lots of griping pains and some green poos. Only started anti-biotics today. Am hoping she's not getting colic and that all will settle once mastitis clears up. Any connection?

Thanks

mummytummy Mon 06-Jun-05 17:05:40

Isn't green poo something to do with a lot of iron or something? I had mastitis and don't remember any side affects with the baby, but I could well be wrong. Have you been eating lots of iron recently?

WigWamBam Mon 06-Jun-05 17:06:28

Is the baby breastfed? Green poo isn't unusual in breastfed babies.

Tinker Mon 06-Jun-05 17:07:59

Yes, she is breastfed. Don't think my iron level is particularly high - might be, was very high when pregnant.

tiktok Mon 06-Jun-05 17:21:09

Never heard of an iron connection. Green poo can be normal. Mastitis and and green poo/pain could be linked via the 'less than optimal positioning' factor, ie not one causing the other but both symptoms of the same thing.

Nightynight Mon 06-Jun-05 17:25:17

I had loads of mastitis, and loads of green poo (babies I mean), but never noticed a connection.

norash Mon 06-Jun-05 17:27:44

iron=black (dark) poo

kama Mon 06-Jun-05 20:21:40

Message withdrawn

icklelulu Wed 08-Jun-05 14:10:39

I have been on and off anti biotics since my baby was 3 wks! He is now 6 mnths. I had a breast abcess removed when he was 3 wks so its been a bit of a night mare & now Im getting mastitis quite alot.Only a small amount of anti biotics gets into breast milk but it can effect their nappies. My baby had very runny green nappies! Black or dark poo is alot of iron. How r u coping with the mastitis? Hope everything goes ok! Sorry bout the long message got carried away!!

Tinker Wed 08-Jun-05 15:58:07

Thanks all. The mastitis is dreadful, am really feeling off. The anti biotics make me feel nauseous and my breasts are just so sensitive and painful. It has really ruined the week off with eldest daughter. Plus, feel sooo light-headed all the time. I have it in the other breast now as well . Best time to get I suppose. Am going to get some Savoy cabbage later.

Btw, the green poo started before taking the abs. But now they stink

Tinker Wed 08-Jun-05 23:26:55

icklelulu - that sound vile. Well done for keepin bfing - think I woudl throw in the towel if kept feeling this crap

luley Sat 11-Jun-05 19:46:50

I had mastitis several times - lots of green vile poo - to do with baby drinking sour milk! the antibotics won't help either!!! have you had a chat with someone about positioning - your local hopistal should have a infant feeding co-ordinator (or breastfeeding counsellor) who will help - or get touch with one of the other organistions ie NCT. I did and havn't had mastitis since she changed the positioning - my ds is now 7 months and soley bf still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now