Talk

Advanced search

any tips on how to get DD (8 months) to drink more milk? (long explanation...)

(11 Posts)
drivingmisscrazy Tue 22-Sep-09 18:56:19

OK - DD (8 months) isn't drinking enough milk. She was exclusively breastfed until about 6 months, and is now almost completely FF (largely due to ferocious teething and relentless biting). She is eating solids, but not in any quantity. We are having real trouble getting her to take the 20+oz that we're told she needs. She will take about 100ml/4oz at a time, in a bottle, but more happily in a cup. But all these dribs and drabs mean that we are constantly making bottles, washing bottles etc, and the total in a 24 hour period is often rather less than that. Ideally we'd be having 3 x 7oz feeds, but we can never get her take that much, and she is not backward about making her feelings known!

We are now using follow-on formula, Avent no. 4 teats. She doesn't seem to mind much about temperature, is very easily distracted, and just doesn't seem to like formula that much. We give her yogurt to eat at least 2x a day.

She's just been weighed and is 7.7kg and is following the 50th centile as she has from birth. She is lean, but not skinny and just doesn't seem to want to down much milk at a sitting. She doesn't seem to be that hungry, but will let us know when she is - even then she doesn't take more than 100ml in one go. She is lively and cheerful most of the time - not a great napper but sleeps fairly well at night.

Any ideas? She has b/f/bottle when she wakes up, more with breakfast, a bottle before her 11ish nap, another mid-afternoon, another at tea-time (5ish) and some before bed. She quite often wakes once in the night. Any suggestions appreciated.

pop1973 Tue 22-Sep-09 19:03:04

How did you feed her originally when she was b/fed. Did you feed on demand ? if you fed on demand then she might be used to being fed when she wanted it and therefore might not take huge amounts of milk. Changing to formula might mean that she has got into the habit of not drinking alot but drinking frequently and at smaller amounts? Just an idea

Seona1973 Tue 22-Sep-09 19:49:08

The 20oz can be made up of milk in cereal, in foods, in cooking and any other dairy e.g. cheese, yoghurt, etc so it doesnt all have to be in drink form. How much does she take in total in drink form and can you increase the milk she takes through her food so that it doesnt matter that she takes less as a drink?

drivingmisscrazy Wed 23-Sep-09 09:02:31

thanks pop yes, on demand, so I think I've made a snacker

seona that would be fine if she would eat anything worth mentioning, but she hardly takes any food at all at the moment

just had a terrible night, followed by a complete refusal to eat either of the 2 breakfasts that were offered angry

very frustrating - there's no way that she's going to stay on the 50th centile on the basis of what she's taking in at the moment

glasgowlass Wed 23-Sep-09 09:34:58

Could she be teething again?
My Ds did this around 8 months, went from about 30oz milk a day to taking around 10oz and we struggled to get him to eat. Tried putting milk in everything and giving him creamy type deserts and such but he just refused to take a thing. Lasted about a week then went back to normal, a few days later he cut his top teeth so think it may have been related.

It is frustrating and I know its easy for me to say but try not to get stressed(I did and I am sure DS picked up on this and it made it worse). As my mum told me, if babies are hungry then they will let you know and they will eat.

If you are still worried in a few days phone your HV for a telephone chat and relay your concerns re dropping below 50th centile. (IMO centiles are the devils work, unnecessary anguish for parents)

Hope things improve soon.

drivingmisscrazy Wed 23-Sep-09 10:05:04

thanks glasgowlass - I'm sure you're right - she's just cut (I think) both top teeth and they look very red and sore. I'm not too worried about centiles either grin, clearly, as had her weighed at 8 month check, last time was April shock. Have clearly failed the PFB test...

My view is the same, really, if she's hungry she'll let me know, but blimey it's infuriating at times. Hopefully now the teeth are almost here things will improve.

glasgowlass Wed 23-Sep-09 10:44:50

Fingers crossed for you!

I remember being so stressed out when DS wasnt eating or drinking well, was horrible, for me and for him I suspect!

I dont take DS to be weighed anymore, he is healthy and happy, dont need centiles to tell me that!

Your poor DD with sore gums, you feel so bad for them but TBH there isnt much you can do besides teething gels/rings and paracetamol when needed. Will be so much easier in a few years when they can tell us what is wrong!

Seona1973 Wed 23-Sep-09 11:38:41

I found childrens nurofen to be better than calpol for teething

glasgowlass Wed 23-Sep-09 13:02:19

Unfortunately my DS wont take calprofen so has to be paracetamol, works just fine for him.

Seona1973 Wed 23-Sep-09 13:36:20

I have never used calprofen but both my lo's like the flavour of the childrens nurofen and they also like the nifty syringe that comes with the bottle.

glasgowlass Wed 23-Sep-09 15:21:58

Ah we have some syringes too, pharmacy gave us them, great wee things. Must try the childrens nurofen to see if DS likes that. Calprofen just gets spat back out or he is sick with it a few mins later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now