Talk

Advanced search

First baby. First cold. Not first stupid question

(16 Posts)
mrsfix Tue 22-Sep-09 17:43:13

What can I do to help? My LO is almost 4 months and has just got first cold, apart from waking up a lot in the night, she doesn't seem too bothered... yet.

I am breastfeeding and wondered if that will be enough or whether I should be giving her water on top?

I am feeding her more often than normal, just in case, but suffer from Reynaud's so the fewer feeds the better from my perspective (and don't worry, she eats plenty as the creases on those gorgeous fat thighs will testify)

Oh Lor... I think what I am trying to say is should I feed her more often than normal (but only if necessary) and or give her bottles of water?

Thanks as ever xxx

* All other tips from the top always gratefully accepted too!

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Tue 22-Sep-09 17:50:45

Breastfeeding is the best thing for her.

If she doesn't want anymore than normal and is having lots of wet nappies then don't worry. But if she's not feeding as much as normal I would encourage her to.

Ineedmorechocolatenow Tue 22-Sep-09 17:54:40

I agree with ILikeToQuickstepitTangoIt

warthog Tue 22-Sep-09 17:56:59

only if her nappies are not very wet.

i went in the bathroom with my lo's and turned the shower on hot (don't put them in!). the steam helps the blocked nose. i'd do it at night too if they're waking up a lot. will give them a bit of respite and hopefully you a bit more sleep. you only need to do it for 5 mins or so.

pofacedandproud Tue 22-Sep-09 17:58:40

saline drops good for stuffy nose.

Ineedmorechocolatenow Tue 22-Sep-09 18:00:23

Those plug in Karvol thingies (I believe that's the technical term wink) are good too as they clear the airways while you sleep so she feeds more easily too.....

chocolatedays Tue 22-Sep-09 18:07:13

this helps us , well a bit, baby colds are grim!

mrsfix Wed 23-Sep-09 10:02:33

Many thanks everyone.

I had a pretty horrid night watching her incapable of understanding why she couldn't feed and breathe at the same time, as ever though, she minded a lot less than me!

Tried the Karvol on a hanky which kept everything at least moving for most of the night and a good book for the chief worrier. If anything, her nappies are bigger and more frequent, little and often is obviously the way for this LO

sasamaxx Wed 23-Sep-09 10:04:51

We used to put some drops of Olbas in a warm bowl of water and leave in the room. This seemed to work quite well!

mrsfix Wed 23-Sep-09 10:07:33

Oh and chocolate, I did buy a nose hoover and will give it a go - I thought I'd save it up for when she will be less upset with the indignity than with not being able to breathe!

... she has just learnt to shout to herself (a la Eliza Doolittle doing her vowel practice) and the new bunged up version is ridiculously sweet

Skillbo Wed 23-Sep-09 22:52:23

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that if you can do it, squirting some breastmilk up the nostrils helps ease them too! Not sure how easy it is, but cheap and cheerful and worth a go (for comedy value if nothing else!)

Mummy369 Thu 24-Sep-09 01:57:47

Or, of course, the milk could just be inhaled straight in to her lungs!! What on earth are you thinking of, Skillbo!!

piprabbit Thu 24-Sep-09 02:01:18

You might want to offer her feeds little more often. Sucking with a bunged up nose seems to be more tiring, so she may not take so much milk on board at each sitting.
But if she's happy and has wet nappies I wouldn't worry too much.

TheShockoftheTwo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:17:25

My boys, 5 months, are also going through first cold - snotty nipples - urgh!

I have just continued bfeeding as normal, as have always been told that water to top up is unnecessary as bmilk will always provide what baby needs.

Think just need to check that keep getting wet nappies regularly. They may not want to feed as much, but this is normal if they're under the weather, just need to make sure they're still feeding regularly.

www.theshockofthetwo.blogspot.com

smallorange Sun 27-Sep-09 22:24:38

Keep air moist - I put a wet towel on radiator if heating on. Feed frequently as it comforts and swallowing helps her clear her nose. You can get baby chest rub from boots. Or put some vick or olbas oil on a tissue and tuck it down side of cot. Hope you get some sleep.

BertieBotts Mon 28-Sep-09 09:33:25

No, Skilbo is correct, it's a common remedy for blocked noses and works like saline drops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now