Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop BFing?

(7 Posts)
latestincarnation Tue 22-Sep-09 09:23:43

DS is 11mths and we are down to one BF in the morning - how do i go about stopping completely? Do I just stop (and does this then risk blocked ducts/mastitis even though we are on one feed a day) or do I start spreading it out to every other day etc?

Thanks! LiC

muddleduck Tue 22-Sep-09 13:18:29

You could switch it to after breakfast for a while with the idea that he will take less milk and so the demand will reduce more gradually.

Wigeon Tue 22-Sep-09 13:22:57

In my case, I got mastitis twice in the time I breastfed DD and so was very keen to avoid it when I stopped. You'll be pleased to know that what I did worked (didn't get any mastitis). I gradually reduced the feeds to one a day, then one every other day, then after a couple of weeks of doing that, stopped. I gave the very last feed when she was 11 months and 3 weeks. DD didn't seem to notice! I did get a bit full once after stopping, but expressed a little bit, and then was fine.

Also, having not given DD any formula, I was quite keen not to introduce formula at 11 months, so I replaced the breast feeds with warm cow's milk (although just to note that official advice is not to give cow's milk til 12 months) which she loved / loves (she's now 15 months).

Good luck!

latestincarnation Tue 22-Sep-09 18:53:50

Thanks! I've also given him no formula (amazed I got this far - nearly gave up one week in!! ) and he has been taking cows milk quite well. I have 4 weeks planned, so will start spreading them out - I'm hoping to avoid the agony of blocked ducts/ a near miss from mastitis that I had early on

I miss it already - especially the sleepy bedtime feed which was more of an indulgent cuddle!

PacificDogwood Tue 22-Sep-09 19:11:26

I offered DS3 a wee feed the odd time after I had made the decision to stop purely for decompression purposes, IYKWIM wink. If I got too uncomfortable I would let him feed long enough for relief, but no longer. At that point he was not actually all that interested anymore and I sometimes had to persuade him to latch on! I think I fed him anouther half a dozen times or so in the fortnight after we had officially "stopped".
And much as I was well ready to stop (he was 13 months old) I did miss it for a while... But he gives lovely cuddles now even without the feed smile.
Hope it goes well for you.

latestincarnation Wed 23-Sep-09 08:57:10

Dogwood - my LO also doesn't seem that interested anymore too - so the time is right for both of us. I'll start phasing them out then, and fingers crossed no problems!!

Thanks for all your support and advice - MN is sooooo much more usefull than my HV how was completely at a loss when I asked her. As I couldn't tell her how many ounzes he was getting she had run out of advice!

Wigeon Wed 23-Sep-09 19:35:40

Hope it goes well! Glad to be of help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now