Talk

Advanced search

Have I fed my baby too much?

(10 Posts)
Mazza09 Mon 21-Sep-09 21:37:22

I've recently realised that I've been feeding my baby too much - she's gone from the 50th percentile to the 98th this week (!) and she's only 10 weeks old. I feel quite depressed about it as I feel guilty that I made this mistake. I thought about weaning her off the formula slowly slowly until she's taking what she's supposed to for her age but she absolutely screams the house down if I try to feed her any less... has anybody had a 'heavier' baby and if so, were you encouraged to do anything about it?

tiktok Mon 21-Sep-09 21:44:48

Up from 50th to 98th in one week????

Really?

Check the scales and get her weighed again

seeker Mon 21-Sep-09 21:50:17

I don't think that's possible - that level or weight gain, I mean. I would take her to be weighed again before I did anything else if I were you. Sounds as if the scales were wrong.

seeker Mon 21-Sep-09 21:51:01

sorry, tiktok - didn't see your message!

OrangeFish Mon 21-Sep-09 21:53:17

My one month old lost more than 500 gr in a week which left me in pieces... it was the scales.

Mazza09 Mon 21-Sep-09 21:55:43

Sorry, since her birth weight.... in 10 weeks, she's gone from the 50th to the 98th...I was breastfeeding at first, then did both, as she seemed too hungry and I couldn't work out how much she was taking on the breast, then I dried up so fed her solely on the bottle, and I stupidly was giving her 6oz 6 times a day instead of 5oz 5 times a day (stated on tin) as I was still following the breastfeeding pattern. The health visitors have said that I shouldn't change anything now that I've started but I'm worried I've put her in a situation where she wants more because that's what she's used to. I hear and read so much about childhood obesity, I fear I might have started her off on the 'wrong foot' (or food)

Seona1973 Mon 21-Sep-09 22:37:49

the tin is just a guide though and babies will takemore or less than that. You should be feeding to your lo's appetite anyway not what the tin says. 6oz x 6 times a day sounds ok to me - at that age ds was still on 7 or 8 feeds per day as that is what he wanted. You are still supposed to feed on demand whether your lo is breast/bottle fed

Mazza09 Mon 21-Sep-09 23:33:24

OK - thanks for the reassurance. I realise maybe I'm being a bit neurotic..

Jojay Mon 21-Sep-09 23:39:22

I would definitely feed to appetite at this age.

Ladyem Wed 23-Sep-09 16:36:21

I agree with the others in that you should just follow your baby's lead. My DD also went from the 50th percentile up to well over the top line on the charts and I breastfed on demand. I was told you couldn't get an over weight BF baby, but she was huge!! I, however, was most enraged when the HV asked me how many chocolate buttons I was giving her angry. She was 5 months old!! (And had had NONE!!) hmm

I then got advice from a much wiser HV who told me that some babies just get heavier sooner than others and then it slows down as they get older. DD was 2 stone 2 at her 10 month check blush and isn't much heavier now at 2 years 5 months, as she has just gotten taller and slimmer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now