Talk

Advanced search

BF problem!

(9 Posts)
franfoxy2003 Sun 20-Sep-09 12:26:37

So my DD is 2 weeks old today and i have run out of milk been bf totally since she was born. Just had to go and buy formula for her cos she was starving! please reassure me its not my fault...will it cause any problems if i go back to BF when i have filled up again?

I tried expressing some and didnt even get an ounce out. So can i feed her formula until i fill back up again and it not cause any problems?

rubyslippers Sun 20-Sep-09 12:29:44

expressing is no indication of how much milk you are producing

how about trying lots of skin to skin/feeding in the bath

am not sure you can run out of milk TBH but am no expert

franfoxy2003 Sun 20-Sep-09 12:36:38

well since yesterday there has been practically none there and she has been thrashing about and making funny noises whilst feeding like she is struggling to get any and has been VERY restless. My boobs do feel pretty empty, have tried alsorts since yesterday but to no avail. I feel awful about it and am hoping i can breastfeed again in the next couple of days. This also happened with my ds but he was 8 days old and went to formula and didnt try bf'ing again so im really hoping that i can go back to bf in a day or two.

think im being a complete neurotic mother atm but i feel awful!

rubyslippers Sun 20-Sep-09 12:38:58

call your MW ASAP

also great website here with numbers for support lines on the right hand side

holliejobber Sun 20-Sep-09 12:39:26

Just keep bf her. You never completely run out of milk there will be some there.

It may be that she is going through a growth spurt and has took more milk than usual. To keep up with this demand you have to feed her more even if it feels like there is nothing there. Your body will soon start making more milk in the next day or two without her starving.

Has she has plenty of wet and dirty nappies. Because if its coming out then it must be going in

I know you must feel like you are starving her but im sure your not, if she is pooing and weeing enough.

Can you get to a weigh in tomorrow to put your mind at rest?

franfoxy2003 Sun 20-Sep-09 12:45:12

she has had loadsa wet n dirty nappies so i guess its getting in there although it doesnt seem like it! will continue feeding her cos dont want to stop! thanks everyone!

Mummy369 Mon 21-Sep-09 00:25:56

She could be windy, too, with the frequent feeds and thrashing about. Lots of babies give mixed signals - rooting around when they need winding first.

Mummy369 Thu 24-Sep-09 01:52:16

bump

Ineedmorechocolatenow Thu 24-Sep-09 07:58:19

Sounds like a growth spurt. It can make them very fretful and fussy at the breast. Keep going.

The wet and dirty nappies are good indicators that she is getting the milk. It's a hard slog those first few weeks. You are doing brilliantly x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now