Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Very sore cracked nipples but DD is 8 and a half months old

(5 Posts)
PicketyBing Sat 19-Sep-09 14:39:28

I can't understand why I have sore, cracked nipples when I've been breastfeeding since my daughter was born in January.

What could have caused this?

There's no sign of teeth, I don't think it's thrush either. Will seek doctor's advice on Monday but I'm a bit worried about them today. They've been sore for over a week now.

NormaStanleyFletchachacha Sat 19-Sep-09 15:01:33

I had this with DD after she banged her face and got a thick lip (she was a little older than your DD). Maybe she has a tooth about to come through and the tenderness of that has changed her latch in a similar way.

I feel for you. It was a shock to the system after so many months of pain free feeding

Tryharder Sat 19-Sep-09 17:21:45

Could be thrush. My nipples are just recovering from a painful bout and I am feeding a 15 month old. Doctor prescribed me a canestan cream with hydrocortisone (sp)

My nipples looked as if they have been cut, flaky bits, a bit weepy, excrutiatingly painful to feed but also pains at other times (pain inside the breasts)

browntrout Sat 19-Sep-09 17:39:50

is there any chance she is tongue tied? friend had awful pain for 9 months til it was put down to this. was snipped and fine thereafer. apols am typing with 1 finger on left hand!

PicketyBing Fri 02-Oct-09 07:38:04

Still ongoing.. saw the doctor and she said it was due to teething, could find no other reason. Tried with nipple shields yesterday and just ended up with a bloody puddle inside. Ended up giving two formula bottles ao at least she got milk. Tried with nipple shields again last night and a bit of an improvement since they'd had half a day to heal - but she's now wise to the nipple shields and tries to pull them off! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now