Talk

Advanced search

Newborn; how long should she feed?

(9 Posts)
LittleCheese Fri 18-Sep-09 15:15:03

Ok DD is 11 days old and after a few initial aches and pains I now feel BF is going ok.

Through the night she will feed every 2-3 hours for about 20 mins and through the day she will feed ever 3-4 hours and feed any where between 1 and 2 hours. Is this long extended feeding normal? Don't get me wrong I'd rather this way round than the long feeds at night just a little concerned as to why she feeds for so long.

Also she has just been weighed today, she was 8lb 9.5 at birth and now at 11 days is 8lb 9. Does this weight sound reasonable? I knew she would loose weight initially but expected that she would have gained weight by 10 days?

tiktok Fri 18-Sep-09 15:20:23

LittleCheese - that weight is absolutely normal. She is at birthweight at 10 days - it's textbook

The feeding length and frequency is normal, too - those 1-2 hour daytime feeds will probably be a bit on and off with a few little snoozes and then proper feeding again....yes? At this age it can be hard to see when a feed begins and ends.

LittleCheese Fri 18-Sep-09 15:29:59

tiktok yes day time feeds have snoozes inbetween perhaps 4 feeds in the space of 2 hours with 3 5-10 min naps inbetween, glad its normal just hoping it doesnt stay like this too long as 2 and half year old dd is getting rather frustrated

tiktok Fri 18-Sep-09 17:56:50

All sounds v.v.v. normal, LittleCheese; it will get easier in time. You will also get v. skilled at multi-tasking eg putting toddler on potty and bf; reading a story to toddler and bf; building a duplo house and bf.... etc etc.

peachygirl Fri 18-Sep-09 18:02:14

Little cheese it sounds like you are doing well

I have just spoon fed a toddler hmm and breaste fed at the same time!!

LittleCheese Sat 19-Sep-09 00:12:09

Thanks ladies I managed to do DD1's story tonight whilst feeding DD2. It was lovely as I have definately felt a little excluded by DD1 and DH since DD2 arrived.

Any advice on when the best time to express is? We have a couple of commitments coming up when my mum will have the girls so need to freeze some milk, however I have given it a go twice today as midwife said not in 1st 10 days and only managed to get an ounce and a half from both breasts in total

tiktok Sat 19-Sep-09 09:38:14

Expressing is a matter of trial and error - there's no 'best' time to do it. Try hand expressing rather than pumping, if you haven't yet had a go - it can be less hassle and some people find it v. effective.

Other option is simply to take the baby with you, if this is possible.

Caro1302 Sat 19-Sep-09 21:42:20

An ounce and a half is good going- well done. I find the mornings best for getting a larger amount but I more often have time to pump in the evenings. You'll find that the more you express the bigger the quantities will become.

PinkyRed Sat 19-Sep-09 21:53:50

i find mornings best too - it also really helps to have ds next to me, in contact if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now