Talk

Advanced search

Advice on getting BF baby to take formula because of teeth!

(9 Posts)
Donada Thu 17-Sep-09 20:24:04

I have DS who is 11 mths and has been exclusively BF, he has teeth, top and bottom and has taken to clamping on my nipple - up until now I have grinned and beared it, moved him on off and around to ease pain but to no avail. I now have lesions where he has clamped so hard and consequently am in a lot of pain! HV has suggested I leave off the bf until nipples have healed. REALLY don't want to stop, even if it is temp, but looks like I will have to.

DS is also allergic to cows milk so we use special formula for cereal, however, tried him with this at his last feed and he was not at all keen.

Any advice please?

nigglewiggle Thu 17-Sep-09 20:35:24

Have you tried putting him down as soon as he does it? This worked for me. Kellymom (as usual) has some good advice.

Well done for perservering BTW.

Hulla Thu 17-Sep-09 21:10:56

Yes, I had the same. I would say "No biting mummy" and gently press dd's chin to unclamp open her mouth. If she carried on I'd put her down for a few minutes. She found this hilarious at first grin.

After a few times I could spot when she was about to do it and say "No biting" and she'd carry on suckling instead.

She doesn't do it at all now.

Good luck, it really does bloody hurt!!

ramblingmum Fri 18-Sep-09 09:55:57

Hi I used nipple shields for a bit when dd1 got her teeth and was rubbling me raw with them. Might be worth a try if you want to keep breastfeeding

MrsMagnolia Fri 18-Sep-09 10:24:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hagg Mon 21-Sep-09 04:16:09

I am having the same thing with my 10 month old (bottle and breast fed) DS. It has been going on for a while now and nothing I do seems to work )taking him off and looking stern, screaming, saying No, tapping his nose, etc.. Teeth top and bottom make it excrutiating. Sometimes he looks at me seriously, sometimes laughs when I react. Yesterday I screamed out and he started to cry which is sad. So reading this thread with interest. Don't want to stop bfing. I think I am being too nice.
So reading this thread with interest.

Rhian82 Mon 21-Sep-09 09:54:38

DS doesn't actually bite me, but the way he rests his teeth does rub and start to cause sores on my left nipple. I've found varying his position (using rugby ball occasionally) does help - the sores appear in a different place, but nothing gets so bad it's agonising!

laumiere Mon 21-Sep-09 22:56:51

I'm giving up at 7mo for the same reason, I found the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles were the easiest to get him on and using a similar position to breastfeeding, but then substituting the bottle at the last minute. At the moment we are working towards bottle in the day, boob at night as he doesn't bite so much then.

scarletlilybug Wed 23-Sep-09 12:57:21

Sounds counter-intuitive, but have you tried actually pushing ds towards the breast when he tries biting? Someone advised me to do this with dd - and it seemed to work. As she was pushed towards the bresat (gently), she always seemed to relax her jaws and stop biting.

Keep telling yourself "it's just a phase". grin. IME, babies do grow out of this habit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now