Talk

Advanced search

Confusion about growth spurts in BF baby

(6 Posts)
Ladyem Thu 17-Sep-09 16:03:07

I'm a second time Mum who is exclusively BF my nearly 4 week old DS and I just wanted some advice as I think he's going through a growth spurt as he is feeding quite often (I know not unusual for a 4 week old!!), but where my confusion lies is if he feeds from one breast, then 30-60 mins later wants another feed, do I go back to the same beast or offer the other breast?

If I offer the same side again I get another let down of milk (and I have to say, when I get a let down of milk it is VERY painful on both breasts for about 30 seconds) and so the breast I'm not feeding from gets really full and quite painful.

I've found, though, that if I switch sides each time, he gets green nappies, so I don't know what to do for the best!!

Other than that there are no problem with his feeding (he went from 6lbs 6oz at 7 days old (he was born at 6lbs 10) to 7lbs 5oz at 18 days old!) I have no pain when he latches on and other than a little sensitivity I have no pain at any other time, so I think he is correctly latched on and taking a good feed each time.

Thanks in advance!!

bethdivine Thu 17-Sep-09 16:24:59

hi, am not an expert, have just BF both my DCs, but what I did at this stage was put them back on the same side if they wanted to feed again within an hour of the last feed, otherwise, more than an hour and I would switch sides.

hopefully others will be along to share their experience, and there's lots of good advice on www.kellymom.com too.
good luck smile

Ladyem Thu 17-Sep-09 17:05:03

Thanks Beth! I will give that a try and see what happens! Thanks for the link, too! Off to have a look! grin

Ladyem Fri 18-Sep-09 08:47:54

ok, so another question! Was definitely a growth spurt as my breasts feel really full today, so If DS had a feed this morning at 6am and only had a little feed, so my breast is still quite full, do I go back to that breast at his next feed (which will probably be at about 9am)? Or do I go to the other side, so that they regulate again to his needs? Am getting very confused when I thought I had it all sussed!!

I feel as if I am not getting enough milk out of each side and worry that it is going to decrease my supply. DS is fine and dandy, though, so obviously getting enough!!

MrsBadger Fri 18-Sep-09 09:25:15

swap every time
so if he only had one side at 6am offer the other at 9am

do not get too hung up on it though - so long as you use both it normally works out fine.

I had to work to stop myself getting lopsided as I got in the habit of always putting dd on the left side so I could still type with my rigth hand...

MrsMagnolia Fri 18-Sep-09 10:46:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now