Talk

Advanced search

Is this mastitis?

(2 Posts)
KiwiPanda Thu 17-Sep-09 08:11:03

Help/advice sought please!

3 days ago had sudden high temp (102) aches, chills etc. Left breast very tender and bruised feeling but not engorged or red or any lumps that I can see. Next day felt ok, now feel rubbish again (though temp is now only slightly raised) and breast still v sore

Could this be mastitis? Am very very reluctant to take antibiotics as they disagree horribly wth DD who is grumpy anyway (would mastits affect her? She's sleeping v badly) and I am terrified of getting thrush again as I had it when DD was little and took 7 weeks to get rid of it

What can I do / take? Am away so no (easy) access to doctor either

belgo Thu 17-Sep-09 08:21:40

It could be mastitis, and it is best diagnosed by a doctor.

You don't always need antibiotcs for mastitis - you need to bf very very regularly from infected side, breastfeed in different positions, massage using a hot flannel, massage using hot water from the shower. Rest plenty - take your baby into bed with you and feed loads and loads.

Paracetamol and ibuprofen fro pain relief.

If you start getting any worse, or if symptoms don't improve, you do need to see a doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now