Talk

Advanced search

4 week old keeps falling asleep during feeds - not sleeping/eating enough

(6 Posts)
earlycomputers Thu 17-Sep-09 08:10:16

My 4 week old feeds only for a few minutes during the night time feeds and this leads to him wanting a feed every 2 hours or so. When he feeds at 10.30pm he seems to feed for much longer which stretches the time to the next feed to 3 hours. So my question is - how can I wake him up sufficiently (but not so awake that he doesn't go back to sleep) to have a long enough feed at 1am etc? I have tried changing his nappy/turning the lights on a bit more to wake him up more - but this hasn't helped. Then from 1pm tp 7am between the 2 hourly mini-feeds he has, he grunts/strains/makes niggling sounds. Any advice would be great!

pippel Thu 17-Sep-09 08:52:02

feeding every two hours sounds good for that age, mine was more like evry 20 mins shock

maybe hes just getting everything he needs in that time?

dawntigga Thu 17-Sep-09 08:57:22

My 21 week old still feeds every 2 hours during the day. He use to feed every 2 hours at night as well, it gets better.

KnowsThatDoesn'tHelpRightNowButItDoesTiggaxx

pippel Thu 17-Sep-09 09:02:11

could you co sleep it was the only way I could get any sleep I just woke up long enough to get her on then went straight back off to sleep

olivo Thu 17-Sep-09 09:15:35

my 4wk old is exactly the same, early, right diwn tio the unsettled shuffling and grunting and straining. after the 1a.m feed, she tends to wake at 3 and from then on, i keep her in bed with me so i can doze. she goes back on her moses basket about 6 so the bed is clear for my 3yo who likes to come in for a cuddle!

i think really regular feeding is normal at this age.

spitnpolish Thu 17-Sep-09 09:30:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now