Talk

Advanced search

breast feeding from one breast

(2 Posts)
ferfer Thu 17-Sep-09 06:23:13

I have an eight and a half month old baby who has been exclusively breastfed. I have had full blown mastitis in the right breast approximately every two or three weeks since he was born. I have been to see every expert under the sun - two lactation gps, breast surgeon, breastfeeding counsellor - and tried all the suggestions. Anyway, am currently again suffering from mastitis and have decided to stop feeding from the affected breast as I can't take it anymore. I can't get an appointment with my lactation gp for a fortnight so could anyone here give me some advice on how to wean off the right breast and get the left to increase supply. Also, will I have to use formula as well? My baby is very small and not eating a huge amount of solids so can't afford for him to lose any weight. He is still having six feeds a day.
Thanks so much.

FlamingoBingo Thu 17-Sep-09 07:09:34

You can stop feeding on the right immediately if you want - just express everytime you feel remotely uncomfortable on that side and only express until you are comfortable. That won't maintain a supply but should let it wind down easily.

You shouldn't need formula. Just feed very, very frequently for a couple of days on the let side, and your milk will increase accordingly. Frequent feeding makes milk faster and your breasts will probably take 24-38hrs to catch up.

Call a breastfeeding helpline to talk now - you don't need to have an appointment with a lactation consultant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now