Talk

Advanced search

Night time feeding. Any tips for dealing with the leaking breast???

(21 Posts)
Tinker Sat 04-Jun-05 17:11:51

This is what I don't like about bfeeding. When feeding at night, other breast leaks so much that I am cold and wet. Don't want to wear a bra at night so am reduced to holding a muslin cloth or breast pad over the leaking one. Has anyone got any tips on this or is it just a case of grin (gritted teeth grin) and bear it?

Thanks

dinosaur Sat 04-Jun-05 17:14:49

In my experience it settles down after a while. The only tip I have is to sleep on a towel.

RuthN Sat 04-Jun-05 20:29:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hercules Sat 04-Jun-05 20:29:58

Big towels under boobs.

beansprout Sat 04-Jun-05 20:31:45

I have been wearing a bra non-stop for 7 months now (apart from 5 mins in the shower). I wouldn't mind, but they are the worst bras I have ever owned!!

Blondeinlondon Sat 04-Jun-05 21:45:50

I wear sloggi bra top things, supportive enough to restrain the boob and keep it in contact with the breast pad

misdee Sat 04-Jun-05 21:47:28

havew just ordered a sleep vra fron the NCT. i have a pair of pj's and the top has a hidden support bit, and that holds breastpads well. usually i am also in bed holding muslin cloth over the other boob.

mears Sat 04-Jun-05 21:48:07

I would actually catch it in a bottle and save it for stock of EBM - waste not want not

If you don't fancy that you could try pressing the heel of your hand firmly against the nipple and compress the breast. That sometimes stops the let down.

misdee Sat 04-Jun-05 21:49:39

is there a little thing to you to catch it? i was thinking about it the other day. my leaks are more like fountains.

MumOf10 Sat 04-Jun-05 21:50:09

After your breast gets used to feeding the leakage should calm down.

Sleeping bras from mother care etc. are quite comfortable and you just have to slip a pad inside.

Hope it helps hun! x

morningpaper Sat 04-Jun-05 21:51:52

I just kept a stash of towels by the bed and put one or two over me when I fed - and slept on a towel and a waterproof sheet.

Not sexy though I agree.

Tinker Sat 04-Jun-05 22:47:37

Thanks all. Have been doing the towel thing but the sleeping bra sounds like a good idea. Am lucky this is a May baby (1st one was an April one so also lucky) because this would seriously put me off in the winter.

kama Sat 04-Jun-05 22:52:48

Message withdrawn

vwvic Sun 05-Jun-05 01:05:39

I had this problem also. I second the waterproof sheet/ towels. I found that sleeping on my tummy, having carefully arranged my breasts so that they pointed nipples down gave just enough compression to stem major leaks- sorry if TMI!

I also taped breastpads made from cut up sanitary towels (more absorbancy) over my areoles (sp?). Just make sure you use micropore tape or something similar so it doesn't hurt when you remove them! HTH.

vwvic Sun 05-Jun-05 01:07:12

By the way, I still occasionally leak, although it's more like colostrum than proper milk. My "baby" is 3.5 years!

Tinker Sun 05-Jun-05 11:30:19

Laughing at taping breast pads to yourself - was actually thinking about doing just that last night

Rachey1969 Sun 05-Jun-05 12:12:36

I used to leak as much from the breast I was not feeding from as the other - I used to wear 'breast shells' (not shields) from Boots/Mothercare - I used to sterilise them and then stick the collected milk in a bottle and freeze it! I couldn't see the harm in it and did it with all 3 of mine, although according to the packet you are supposed to throw the milk away (what a waste!).

Another tip - I used to press a finger right in the middle of my nipple and somehow it would stop the let down for a bit.

Tinker Mon 06-Jun-05 14:00:39

Think I cracked it last night. Stick my breast pads to a t shirt and wore that - seemed to work. In fact, am going braless today since have the vile mastitis and am doing same thing - it works.

Have also got breast shells but not used them yet this time. Did use them last time but not at night after all the milk poured all over me once. Can't see why you can't collect milk in them though if you've sterilised them before?

popsycal Mon 06-Jun-05 14:10:14

would you wear a vest with guilt in support?
asda do them really cheaply
stick breast pads in the top

popsycal Mon 06-Jun-05 14:11:18

guilt in/???????
#built in

trinityrocks Thu 09-Jun-05 08:11:43

I just squeeze the leaky nipple really hard whne I feel the let down starting, that stops it, doesn't help when I've fallen asleep by the time the let down kicks in (30 secs) lol!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now