Talk

Advanced search

9 WEEK OLD TWINS 4AM WAKING WITH WIND - SUGGESTIONS PLEEEAAASSEE!!

(8 Posts)
Schmauskin Tue 15-Sep-09 09:04:56

TWINS BOTTLE FED AND SETTLE NICELY AROUND 6.30PM. WAKE AND FEED AT 1PM AGAIN THE SLEEP SOUNDLY UNTIL AROUND 2.30/3AM FOR ANOTHER FEED, THEY SETTLE BACK NICELY BUT THEN BETWEEN 4-5 AM THEY WAKE WITH GRIPEY PAINS AND WIND. I KNOW IT'S NOT HUNGER AS THEY WILL CALM WITH A CUDDLE /DUMMY/OR A WIND, BUT IT'S EXHAUSTING US. THEY'RE ON APTAMIL WITH COLIEF (CHANGED TO SMA FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS BUT MADE THINGS WORSE) GOING TO TRY INFACOL TODAY. BOTH POOING WELL AND FREQUENTLY, AND GIVING A DRINK OF COOLED BOILED WATER EVERY AFTERNOON....ANY SUGGESTIONS VERY GRATEFULLY RECEIVED. EXCUSE CAPITALS BUT TYPING WITH BABY ON SHOULDER... X

Swaliswan Tue 15-Sep-09 10:56:49

- Nuse Harvey's gripe water before feeds. It's the only one I've used but I know it works. Don't give it after a feed unless you want to risk a major throwing-up session.

- Keep baby upright for ten minutes after feeds.

- grin and bear it. It won't last forever even though it feels like it now.

tclint Tue 15-Sep-09 23:13:00

Give 1 ml(2 droppers) of infacol 20 mins before feed to give it a chance to work. Colic granules can be bought from the chemist I think they are called colinsynth.(cant quite remember) they are great. Peppermint water is fab 1ml before a feed. need to get it on prescription or from a herbal med shop!!babies might not like taste though, can be given with infacol.

Frequent winding during feeds and Baby tummy massage at nappy changes help to disperse wind,

Hope these tiips are of use!!x

Schmauskin Wed 16-Sep-09 07:39:35

thank you for suggestions - happened again last night . DH and I resorted to cuddling the babies in bed with us for hours - not the best habit to encourage.

BertieBotts Wed 16-Sep-09 21:08:10

9 week old babies don't form habits Carry on with whatever works!

Rosebud05 Wed 16-Sep-09 21:22:44

My ds was like this (minus the 'settling nicely at 6.30pm bit'....!), and it got better from about 12 weeks. I took him to a homeopath when he was 3 weeks as I'd had antibiotics in labour(strep b positive) which I think contributed. the homeopathy and probiotics helped a bit but it was mainly just time. Don't worry about 'developing bad habits' - babies are constantly changing and the priority is sleep.
Congrats on your twins, btw.

poorbuthappy Wed 16-Sep-09 21:35:15

We went through a similar thing with our twins...as they were still under the paed con we mentioned it at the 6 week check and they gave us infant gavison...and it was horrendous. Made them so constipated that the screams when going to poo was worse than the wind issues... just a note of caution for you...

Infacol never really worked for us, and just as we were getting to the end of our tether, they grew out of it...so remember the twin mum's mantra...this too shall pass.

Congrats and good luck!!

rollars Wed 16-Sep-09 22:06:07

Try drinking fennel tea if they are breastfed
It's natural and helps both you and babies!
Hope that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now