Talk

Advanced search

I looked at Formula milk in Boots the other day and Aptamil had on their box.. " the best infant milk " ... are they allowed to say that?

(15 Posts)
BennyAndJoon Mon 14-Sep-09 23:25:08

I was sucked into the baby isles in boots as I had McDreamy's very lovely DD2 with me.

I just read the box and thought ' can they say that, how can they say that'

?

beaniesinthebucketagain Mon 14-Sep-09 23:41:46

hmm i doubt they can, maybe could get away with the best infant formular but even then thats pushing it as i know from experience the best for one isnt for another

paisleyleaf Mon 14-Sep-09 23:46:45

I'm sure I read a couple of months ago that the advertising standards agency told them they had to remove the "best" as uproven.
Maybe there are still some floating about. I don't know how long a sell by date formula has.

tiktok Mon 14-Sep-09 23:47:51

No, they are not supposed to make any claims of that sort.

But they do.

It's against the WHO code on marketing, and I think spurious health claims have now been outlawed in the UK....and this claim to be 'the best' is spurious.

BennyAndJoon Tue 15-Sep-09 00:36:21

But it is currently on packaging on the shelf.

How in buggery does that work?

Infact - it is on their current website too here

FaintlyMacabre Tue 15-Sep-09 08:20:14

Surely the best infant milk is, erm, breastmilk?

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 15-Sep-09 08:25:09

And they do say bf is best "Breastfeeding is best for babies"

then on the next page,
"Aptamil First is the best infant milk if your baby is not being breastfed or to complement breastfeeding."

WoTmania Tue 15-Sep-09 08:50:13

'Breastfeeding is best for babies and provides many benefits. It is important that, in preparation for and during breastfeeding, you eat a healthy, balanced diet'

This was under the Breastfeeding notice bit.
Drives me bonkers this thing that you must eat healthily and well to BF hmm.
Maybe you should try and eat that way all the time and you'll feel good.

fishie Tue 15-Sep-09 08:54:26

last week i had to ask the manager in supermarket to move all the discount labels off the infant milk and on to the 6m+.

actually, i have wondered. do people give 'follow-on' to smaller babies because it is often cheaper or discounted?

fishie Tue 15-Sep-09 08:54:46

younger babies would be a better way of putting that.

BennyAndJoon Tue 15-Sep-09 10:26:32

WoT - I noticed that too (and sucked my teeth)

It is like they are trying to make it more complicated than it is...

pippel Tue 15-Sep-09 12:58:02

I just noticed today that cow and gate doesn't say "because healthy babies are happy babies" anymore it says "because cow and gate babies are happy babies"

did they have to change it as well? the sell by date on both of the tubs I have is Jan 11

pippel Tue 15-Sep-09 13:22:11

Ive just thought about using 6 month plus milk because its discounted I think people probably do.

I was talking to someone who was trying to convince me to start and wean my 3 month old. The woman was telling me she started to wean at 11 weeks to try and get her baby to sleep through the night. She put baby rice in his bottles and she used night time milk from 3 months. So some people do ignore the ages on the milks. I'm not convinced about the night time milk anyway even from 6 months as Ive heard a few times that its safety is being questioned.

BertieBotts Tue 15-Sep-09 19:20:07

Yes pippel I've heard that too about the good night milks. Hipp Organic have free samples of it in their "weaning pack", toted on their website as being "an ideal gift for a new mum" angry

tryingtobemarypoppins Tue 15-Sep-09 19:24:46

"She put baby rice in his bottles "shock
Does she know that can kill! shock
shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now