Talk

Advanced search

Was this weaning working or just a temporary glitch?

(4 Posts)
Lpsmum Mon 14-Sep-09 22:03:57

My DS is now 9.5 mo and has always fed every 2 hours (bf). Even now he's eating 3 good sized meals a day his appetite for milk never waivered. Last week we had a fab family holiday in sunny Scarborough and he suddenly dropped to 3-4 milk feeds a day (on one day just 2 feeds!). Other than be shocked I was obviously v happy thinking we'd finally turned the corner. However now we've settled back into normal life we've gone back to the feeds every 2 hours.
Do you think it was just the change of scenery or spending time with his dad which distracted him? Should I do something now to encourage another change? I sooooo enjoyed the brief glimmer of freedom

Masalamama Tue 15-Sep-09 20:07:34

Hmmm is he still breast feeding? Sounds like he's drinking for comfort and out of habit rather than of hunger. He doesn't really need the extra milk so get tough...

vickstar76 Tue 15-Sep-09 20:36:41

Milk is main food source until 1 yr old
- remember people still give milk as drink older than this. Babies generally won't wean themselves before a year - it sounds to me he had loads going on to distract him.

tiktok Tue 15-Sep-09 20:47:45

I think a snack or a drink every two hours or so is not uncommon among humans of any age ....as he gets older he will be able to manage without when he has to, or when you are not around, or accept a cup instead of a bf, and you could gently support his 'practice' at these things.

'Getting tough'??? With a baby of 9.5 mths??

Not necessary or kind

IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now