Talk

Advanced search

?Nipple Thrush or Latch on?

(20 Posts)
Vicki73 Mon 14-Sep-09 15:49:36

I am having real problems with breastfeeding little one. She seems to be doing really well on it but I am in pain every time I feed and for most of the time in between feeds. I have had mastitis and survived that and then spoke to someone at NCT who suggested I might get treated for nipple thrush, as I had most of the symptoms. I have been using canesten cream locally and also taken Fluconazole for 2 weeks but nothing seems to help and I finally got a swab back today which says I do not have thrush. I have been told that it is difficult to diagnose, even with diagnostic tests and am at a loss to know what else would cause this pain, especially the stabbing pains in between feeding. I have seen health visitors, La Leche peer support and about 6 others have seen me latch on and all said it is fine, although she does make a slurping noise when she feeds. I can also have a very strong let down at times. Does anyone else have any ideas? I don't want to give up as my older son was bottle fed and has azthma, eczema, grommets and an egg allergy. Desperate!!!!

janx Mon 14-Sep-09 16:48:09

Hi - I had similar problems with my ds - who is my second child..had no problems with dd. I too was checked by several bf concellors who all thought it looked fine, but it was still painful. I too thought I had thrush and sought treatment, but that didn't work either. I went to see an Osteopath in the end, who concluded that my son was quite compressed and was not opening his mouth wide enough.. he had some treatments, but to be honest it didn't make much difference - I just perserved and 21 months later I am still feeding him. I tried every position going and it did get better as he got older, but never as comfortable as it was with dd.

I did see a brilliant bf expert at UCH in London, who spent a long time with me...whereabouts are you?

fishie Mon 14-Sep-09 16:51:13

is your nipple squashed when it comes out? i had pains in all sorts of weird places - back and everything - because of nerve damage. have you got lots of lansinoh? try different position, rugby hold seemed to deepen the latch for me.

Vicki73 Mon 14-Sep-09 16:52:52

Thanks - nice to know you are not the only one.
I am in dosy devon so difficult to get to London! People have been really good and have come round to see me but I don't really feel it is helping. If it is a latch on problem, why aren't they picking it up?
I hope it will get better. I don't want to give up.

Vicki73 Mon 14-Sep-09 16:54:17

I am bathing in Lansinoh!! My nipple is slightly squashed, but not really badly.

janx Mon 14-Sep-09 17:26:07

How old is your baby? I used to be in tears with the pain, I felt like i was spending my life trying to solve the problem, but for me I couldn't give up - do you express - I found it useful to give myself a break. Some people find nipple shields useful, but they didn't work for me. Just remember there was another thing that one of the bf councellors thought it might be...let me try and remember and get back to you...sorry am rambling now

Vicki73 Mon 14-Sep-09 18:11:08

I haven't expressed yet as I am scared that it might be the latch on and if she hasn't got that right then we might introduce more problems. I am sorely tempted to though - it is so difficult - I know you understand. Was it Raynauds syndrome ??

MamaGoblin Mon 14-Sep-09 18:55:14

Is your nipple white at the tip after a feed, and is it worse when you're cold (ie a cold room or if there's some windchill on a wet nipple!)?

Hope you get some help soon - it really sounds as if you're doing all you can at the moment, though! smile

herbaceous Mon 14-Sep-09 19:12:45

Hi Vicki

I had this very problem - painful breasts between feeds, a burning sensation in them, even funny twinges in my back - and it was because the baby was compressing the nipple. I'd too originally thought it was thrush, as suggested by a BF counsellor. It has since resolved itself - he's 9 weeks now, and it's been relatively (!) non-painful for a couple of weeks.

I think it's a combination of his mouth getting bigger, and me adopting a new way of latching him on: compressing the boob, with the forefinger going where his lower lip will be, and the thumb where his upper lip will be, putting him on, and letting him suck for a few seconds before letting go. Works for me! I can now even dry myself with a towel without wincing too much!

Vicki73 Mon 14-Sep-09 20:32:38

Thanks all - I will try the tip with the latch on and see if it works. If anyone has any other ideas, then do tell!!

janx Mon 14-Sep-09 21:01:29

Hi - yes it was RS. Have been thinking more about what helped and I also found by holding my boob and compressing it helped....might be worth trying to see a children's osteopath?

Vicki73 Mon 14-Sep-09 21:19:37

Will try the boob compression thing. Seems to make sense. I am seeing the docs again tomorrow after the negative thrush swab to see what they say. I saw a Cranial Osteopath with my first child. I would try anything so maybe will go down that route if they can't find a medical reason.
Thanks everyone x

pussface Mon 14-Sep-09 22:13:25

Hi Vicki73, I had the same problems as you and thought it was thrush but this thread here with the linked advice from greenmonkies on the last post helped explain what else could be happening. I've been following the advice for over active letdown and it has really helped me, hope this helps as an alternative solution x

mathanxiety Tue 15-Sep-09 02:18:50

Really recommend the boob compressing, and pushing in your nipple plus as much of the areola as you can. You can even hold your boob further back, away from the areola and squeeze it so the nipple and areola area is flat and firm enough to really push into baby's mouth. Plus air dry your nipples after each feed.

mathanxiety Tue 15-Sep-09 02:20:09

Sorry posted too soon -- vary positions to drain your boobs at each feed from all angles, and use a hot compress (or cold if hot doesn't work for you) on the boob where it hurts.

Vicki73 Fri 18-Sep-09 16:34:15

Dear All

Many thanks for your help. HV visited yesterday and have come up with yet more theories. We think she is retracting her tongue and so it is a slow process of re-education. It seems to be having a slight effect but I don't want to speak too soon as I have thought things are turning round before. Thanks so much to you all for your input - it really helped. Will let you know how I go.

suwoo Fri 18-Sep-09 16:49:23

What do you mean retracting her tongue? My DS is doing a funny tongue thing at the mo and the nipple comes out squashed sometimes. Its uncomfortable but not painful. He is 7 weeks.

Vicki73 Fri 18-Sep-09 19:50:41

She was making clicking noises and basically I think she wasn't covering her bottom gums so my nipple was ending up really sore and she was breaking the suction on the latch. They initially thought it was thrush. My nipple was slightly squashed. I have to keep relatching her every time she starts to click, which was initially about 40-50 times per feed but even after about 24 hours of hellish feeds, she seems to be learning not to do it. I won't count my chickens but it is looking hopeful!!

Vicki73 Thu 01-Oct-09 19:38:32

To all who helped out. Have just had little one diagnosed with posterior tongue tie. Finally found someone who knows about theset things and she is getting it snipped tomorrow. Just goes to show that if you know something is wrong, just keep yelling until someone listens!! Thanks all xx

Mazkin Thu 22-Oct-09 20:05:17

Hi Vicki

I hope all is well now- I'm over a month late responding to this thread. I'm a newbie here.
I felt like I had to respond as I felt that I was reading my own story when I read yours!
My daughter is 12 weeks and I have had problems since the beginning. I thought it was latch, then tongue tie (for which she had the procedure) then thrush, I have been under treatment for thrish for about 8 weeks now and have tried everything from meds from the GP to homeopathy, home remedies and now acupuncture. My daughter is cleared of thrush now its just me.

You say you had a test/ swob to see if you still had thrush, what was the test and how is it done?

Thanks M xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now