Talk

Advanced search

Why is my 3.5mo dd suddenly feeding so much? Growth spurt or inadequate milk supply?

(10 Posts)
Dawnybabe Mon 14-Sep-09 09:52:35

She had quite happily settled into a routine of 20 mins/half hour breakfast, lunch, tea & dinner & then sleeping through the night from about 8 weeks or so. Now it seems to quite often be around 45 mins 6 or 7 times day and night. Bit worried that the milk supply is dwindling although shouldn't it just increase to meet her demand? Or is she having a month long growth spurt! Getting a bit fed up with this.

tiktok Mon 14-Sep-09 10:01:31

daynybabe - what you're describing is perfectly normal

In fact, what was unusual - very unusual - was the earlier pattern you describe of 4-5 feeds in 24 hrs from eight weeks.

It's not a bit surprising this didn't last, and it's good your dd is increasing her feeding....as you say, this is the way your supply will increase to ensure she gets what she needs.

In time, this pattern will change, too.

Dawnybabe Mon 14-Sep-09 10:14:32

Thanks tiktok, I knew you'd be around somewhere! smile

I'll just go with the flow then. I thought I'd cracked it with routine feeding but never mind, at least it's not me.

Not getting my life back just yet then....

Dawnybabe Mon 14-Sep-09 10:21:59

I fed her at 7am for forty mins and she was shouting again at half nine. I've now been sitting here nearly an hour. My dh got my 2.8yo dd up but then went off to work and she's been downstairs watching tv since about half eight. This is not a good routine.

I haven't had my bloody breakfast yet and this baby has fed twice! envy

tiktok Mon 14-Sep-09 12:47:28

Dawnybabe : "I haven't had my bloody breakfast yet and this baby has fed twice!"

LOL!

Hope you have managed something now, Dawnybabe.

Your toddler won't be harmed by an occasional TV-view-a-thon.

booyhoo Mon 14-Sep-09 14:05:25

dawnybabe im going through exactly the same thing right now with my 15 wk old ds.

we were in a great 3 hourly routine and he was sleeping through the night until about two weeks ago. he started waking 3/4 times during the night and not settling well after feeds. then on friday he started looking a feed every hour and a half/two hours.

i started crying yesterday as i was trying to do my make up. i'd been attempting it for about an hour and a half and hadnt got past foundation. in the end i gave up. so i know how you feel, it is really hard but the lovely ladies on MN have reassured me that this will pass and it is indeed a normal growth spurt.

Dawnybabe Wed 16-Sep-09 23:05:12

Oh booyhoo you can have a big hug from me! smile

booyhoo Thu 17-Sep-09 20:10:21

thanks dawny

how are you getting on now?

i find it easier to cope with knowing that it is normal and wont last.

Dawnybabe Mon 21-Sep-09 21:07:14

Back to four feeds a day and sleeping through the night again. smile
Think it must have been a bit of a growth spurt or just a hungry day or something. Sorry it took me so long to answer, been a bit busy with the childcare. Dh is working 12 hr night shifts for 6 weeks so being a single parent at the mo.
Chin up hun, we'll keep going! wink

crankytwanky Mon 21-Sep-09 22:03:56

You need to stash fruit around the house & under the sofa cushions so you can feed yourself!

Glad it's better, despite being a single-yet-married parent! (I feel your pain!)

Babies do have feeding-frenzies to stimulate your milk flow in anticipation of a growth spurt. Bless em'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now