Talk

Advanced search

'extended' breastfeeding alcohol question

(14 Posts)
dorisbonkers Mon 14-Sep-09 09:02:45

Hi. I have been breastfeeding for almost a year now and have drunk alcohol in moderation (and not in moderation on a rare night off -- but oh the hangover never again). We co-sleep most of the time so I'm always aware that I should be sober.

I was told by my paed that I could have a glass of wine and through friends and kellymom I understand the basics of alcohol levels in blood and breastmilk and no need to pump etc.

Some nights I have more than 1 glass (say two or three) but that's after my baby is asleep and in a cot. I don't get drunk, but then I've always had a high tolerance (sadly).

But the thing is, I'm going on holiday when she's 1 and we're going to the Loire valley and self catering and I want to be able I suppose to 'let go' a little more. Not get pissed or anything but have a glass or two with lunch and maybe again in the evening. Spaced out, and me not getting pissed.

My baby will be in a travel cot so I'm not worried about falling into a stupor on top of her.

I feed her quite frequently but she feeds briefly and a lot of the time for comfort. BLW has gone well and she's a good eater.

I feel I'm being selfish asking this question and I know some mothers think 'if you can't sacrifice booze you shouldn't be breastfeeding her'. But I've been abstaining for 2 years almost and am feeling a little restricted!

We're both into our food and wine and I was an enthusiastic wine drinker before I had my daughter. We used to do tours of Burgundy and Bordeaux.

It doesn't help that my husband has carried on wine drinking and often offers/refills and I'm always saying 'no more'.

What do other extended breastfeeders do on holiday?

dorisbonkers Mon 14-Sep-09 09:07:33

I should add when I say 'some nights' that's only rarely. I don't drink every night and it's only on a weekend I fancy more than a glass.

I suppose I'm just trying to gauge what others do/find acceptable.

HumphreyCobbler Mon 14-Sep-09 09:09:07

I drink a little more on holiday - basically what you describe. My ds only feeds in the morning and dd in the morning and quite a lot at night.

LadyStealthPolarBear Mon 14-Sep-09 09:13:19

I do drink (or did before I was pg) as much as I liked, but then that was never loads as DS was a bad sleeper and I couldn't cope with the lack of sleep with even a slightly fuzzy head. Would happily have had 2 large glasses of wine without feeling the need to do anything different feeding wise (didn't co sleep) but I'd probably not have had any more than that even if I'd fancied it - would have made a decision not to, I think.

fishie Mon 14-Sep-09 09:16:01

I have been bfing for years and drinking plenty of alcohol, although usually not until after the last evening feed (i stopped night feeds at 9m).

I can't see a few extra glasses making any difference, although I am no longer able to enjoy a drink at lunchtime, hate the way it makes me feel later.

Cheers!

dorisbonkers Mon 14-Sep-09 09:17:43

Thanks. I suppose I've always had the '1-2 units a week is fine' advice in my head. Of course, a large glass is more than a unit.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't want a pass to get pissed. I just want reassurance that not counting every bloody unit is ok for a short period.

My daughter is a bad sleeper too and coping with a fuzzy head is horrible.

2-3 glasses (not massive ones) of wine do not leave me fuzzy headed though.

dorisbonkers Mon 14-Sep-09 09:20:32

One thing, my baby often wakes on her sleep cycles but usually settles after a few seconds of a comfort feed. I used to worry that she was feeding at just the time when I thought she'd be sleeping but I realise that she's not really feeding, just taking the breast to settle.

LadyStealthPolarBear Mon 14-Sep-09 09:21:45

Oh god no I stopped worrying about units when DS was about 9 months/one-ish (obviously started again when pg ). Agree - two large glasses doesn't leave me fuzzy headed, but any more, coupled with poor sleep would do so it just wasn't worth the risk!

TheOne Mon 14-Sep-09 09:23:45

I'm also quite happy to drink a little or more and have done so since Dd was new born. I'm not a huge drinker and can take it or leave it, but I have never abstained except when I was first pg as I couldn't stand the taste, but at mid pg I did enjoy a glass of wine. Dd is approaching 2.9 now and still bfing and developing at a rate of knots, so I would not be too concerned about drinking a bit more than usual on holiday doris.

prettybird Mon 14-Sep-09 09:26:09

Dorisbonkers - one of my GP friends said to me, "even if a small amount of alcohol had transferred to the breast milk, all it woulod do - epscially to an older baby - is make him slightly sleepy. And your problem is??????????? gringrin"

Go ahead and relax!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 14-Sep-09 09:34:44

DH and I often share a bottle between us and I'm BFing DS who is 14 months. I never count units anymore, haven't done for months.

You will be fine to have a couple of glasses at lunch and then some more at dinner - enjoy the trip! I'm very jealous, Loire valley whites are some of my favourites!

PortAndLemon Mon 14-Sep-09 10:07:23

I don't worry about it once they are past the baby stage. I never get drunk drunk any more because I wouldn't when in charge of the DCs and even if someone else were babysitting the next day with small children would be hell. But I'm quite happy to drink up to my personal comfort level without worrying about the effect on DD.

bedlambeast Mon 14-Sep-09 15:15:08

Message withdrawn

haventsleptforayear Mon 14-Sep-09 15:18:34

Like most people, I haven't worried about it for a while now (DS2 = 2.8).

Have a great holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now