Talk

Advanced search

Nasty nipple ulcer caused by breastfeeding - please help!

(10 Posts)
stinkymalinkireturns Sun 13-Sep-09 21:43:24

DD is 6 weeks old, i have exclusively BF her so far (and would love to continue to do so), but i have developed a nasty ulcer on my right nipple that isn't healing that is agonising every time she latches on, and all thoughout her feeding. I've also noticed that there is a tender lumpy area in that breast, possibly caused by her not draining that side properly because i can't bear to feed her for long due to the pain. The other nipple is now also beginning to look reddened and is getting sore.

Please help! (with DS i never had any problems like this and fed him for 8 months)

whomovedmychocolate Sun 13-Sep-09 21:53:50

Go to the GP, you may have mastitis and the infection in the boob is preventing healing. Does she have a tongue tie?

stinkymalinkireturns Sun 13-Sep-09 22:03:59

Not that i'm aware of. I've had mastitis before, but it didn't affect my nipples at all. I'm wondering if its secondary to trying Lily Padz instead of my usual breast pads for a few days last week - it seems like my poor nips have no surface skin on them <ouch> I've actually started dreading feeding time.

justbeme Sun 13-Sep-09 22:14:31

Can you use nipple shields? and put a heated wheat bag on the "lumpy" bit to relieve it.
also
look here

whomovedmychocolate Sun 13-Sep-09 22:14:44

I wonder if you are not getting enough air to them to allow them to heal - could you wander about topless or at very least braless with a very loose cotton top on for a few hours a day? Also, try the rugby hold, the feeding lasts much less time and the breasts are drained well. Also is easier once you get alignment and the mouth is on a different bit of the boob.

Are you sure her latch is okay if you are getting so sore - is her mouth wide open etc, head and neck straight? Sorry I know you know all this but sleep deprived one can forget these things.

Dalrymps Sun 13-Sep-09 22:17:20

Ouch, I had that! I used Lansinoh to help it heal, have you got any of this? You can get it at boots (in a purple tube). I've also heard silverette nipple cups work wonders to heal sore nipples.

I would get dd checked for tounge tie just to rule it out and also maybe get someone to check your latch. My ds had a slight tounge tie that was never picked up on and by the time it was my breastfeeding days were far behind me...

Some people swear by nipple shields to give them a barrier whilst they heal. They didn't do the trick for me but I guess it's just a matter of trying them.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 13-Sep-09 22:18:49

Sympathy. DS left his mark on mine too. I had to put my finger in his mouth and break the suction as he wasn't properly latched on.

Agree with WMMC re: rugby hold.

stinkymalinkireturns Sun 13-Sep-09 22:30:05

Thanks for all your replies. I have tried nipple shields but she wasn't impressed with that idea at all and wouldn't latch. I'll definitely give the rugby hold a go, keep persevering with the lansinoh, and i'll try and wear something a bit looser, but we're currently on holiday at the In-Laws so probably not the best idea to wander round topless!

Dalrymps Sun 13-Sep-09 22:39:41

I feel your pain, hope you heal soon!

mathanxiety Mon 14-Sep-09 02:56:06

The air-drying (over several days) worked for nipple problems like that for me. Also, have you tried a hot compress on the area that is sore? If hot doesn't relieve it, try cold, and also some different holds to drain the boob from all angles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now