Talk

Advanced search

bottle feeding and flying.

(6 Posts)
bananastew Sun 13-Sep-09 19:57:55

I'm due to fly to Turkey with ds, 13mths, in a week. I've been told that the best way to help him cope with his ears popping is to give him a bottle as we take off.

The problem is that he will only take hot milk. As in hot hot!! Does anyone know if the cabin crew will be able to heat the milk for me or if not have any suggestions to how we can get round it?

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 13-Sep-09 20:02:14

You could give him a dummy. Or something else to drink. The point is to try and get them to swallow as this clears their ears of pressure. Don't forget that they also need to do this on descent also.

mathanxiety Mon 14-Sep-09 02:49:47

Usually the cabin crew are too busy right before take off to attend to any personal needs of the passengers. They have to close the overhead storage, go over the evacuation routine and the oxygen mask protocol, and make sure all tray tables are in their upright and locked position.... Has your DS ever drunk water from a bottle? As long as something is being sucked and there's a little to swallow, the ears should be ok. Apple juice would do the trick too. Yes, descent can do a number on the ears too. I personally found cabin crews interested only in selling extra drinks and merchandise, not really too good at boiling water, getting things for babies.

florence2511 Mon 14-Sep-09 02:53:26

Im my experience, the cabin crew have been more than happy to warm a bottle for me (in boiling water), but before take off is probably not a good idea.

bananastew Mon 14-Sep-09 08:59:02

Thanks. I was intending on doing the same on landing but wasn't so bothered as i have more time to get it sorted.
I thought they'd be too busy before taking off. Water is a good option though he normally has it from a beaker but was stealing his little friends from her bottle last week!! I hadn't thought of that.

mathanxiety Mon 14-Sep-09 17:00:25

I think the bottle might give the continuous sucking and swallowing that helps to keep the ears from feeling the pressure change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now