Talk

Advanced search

help! baby (7 months) vomiting: should I continue to breastfeed or wait a while?

(11 Posts)
Leln Sun 13-Sep-09 18:28:53

Hello
I am visiting my parents, long way from home, got sick 7 month old.

She is vomiting copiously, it is obviously a stomach bug, not just regurgitation of milk, due to heaving and body contorsions.
Poor baby.

Question: do I hold off breastfeeding her for a while or continue to breastfeed on demand?

Bbay has not fed for a couple of hours now, seems hungry, giving all cues she wants to feed, but worried that she will vomit again immediately.

Any advice?

thanks

LadyStealthPolarBear Sun 13-Sep-09 18:36:55

Keep feeding - keep getting bm and water into her. Hold off on solids as much as you can.
She might well vomit again (sorry) but it's better that she doesn't get dehydrated.

Leln Sun 13-Sep-09 18:37:45

thx LSPB

LadyStealthPolarBear Sun 13-Sep-09 18:38:03

Oh, and meant to say hope she is better soon, poor little thing
DS had a huge D&V bug at about 11 months, I was so pleased to still be breastfeeding him as it kept him hydrated and also meant he wasn't really hungry all the time.

Montifer Sun 13-Sep-09 18:41:03

Keep bf as it will keep her hydrated and also comfort her.
I found wearing a towelling robe / bath towel helpful to soak up the vomit and then chuck in the washing machine.

Hope she is better very soon

BertieBotts Sun 13-Sep-09 18:44:18

Aww poor little thing, yes, breastfeed as much as she wants, even if she is sick. I think you can offer water as well. If she starts showing any signs of dehydration you need to take her to the doctor (or possibly A+E?)

Leln Sun 13-Sep-09 19:16:10

thx for advice
dh wants to give her rice as well as bm
good idea or not?
for info, have just fed her and she immediately vomited what seemed like the whole feed back (i have taken the towelling gown advice!)
seems restless but no real signs of dehydration (yet)

thx

ShowOfHands Sun 13-Sep-09 19:19:15

Even if she seems to vomit it straight back up again, she will keep some down. Keep offering.

No to rice for now until she can keep milk down, bmilk is the best thing for her.

mawbroon Sun 13-Sep-09 20:19:13

Another no to rice just now too.

As showofhands says, even if she is sick straight after feeding, it is so readily absorbed that some of it will have stayed in.

I wouldn't hold off, in fact I would be offering more frequently. She might take smaller feeds that way.

It's horrible though, I hope she is better soon.

mawbroon Mon 14-Sep-09 21:15:01

How is your dd doing now Leln?

I hope she has perked up a bit. smile

Leln Tue 15-Sep-09 22:25:55

thanks for all your help and support

we are back home now, we postponed the flight home, stayed at my parents an extra 24 hours (but had to pay the equiv of new flights (Easyjet - grrrrrrr))

dd now looking good

she def had some gastro type thing as her tummy is still upset, but exorccist vomiting gladly over

thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now