Talk

Advanced search

giving up the 10pm feed on a Gine Ford style routine???

(13 Posts)
mckenzie Fri 03-Jun-05 17:11:38

At what age have other babies given up this 10pm feed and still gone throught to 7am ish?

I know all babies are different and i'm sure the answers will vary but just looking for an idea.

thanks.

NannyJo Fri 03-Jun-05 17:17:38

My Ds was about 6 months but remember that all children are different and they will get into a routine of their own with only a little guidance needed. Please take Gina Fords routine with a BIG pinch of salt.
I tried it and nearly had a break down cos i was too busy trying to be regimented that i forgot to relax and enjoy it therefore my DS was also not happy.

You have to find what works best for you.

Goodluck

mckenzie Fri 03-Jun-05 19:24:56

DD has her own routine which is loosely based on Gina Ford.

I'm just interested in when other babes have dropped the feed. I don't plan on trying to get DD to do it until she personally is ready, I'm just interested to see at what age it happens, on average.

hermykne Fri 03-Jun-05 19:44:47

mine was 8mths and breast feed, and i did it forceble because i knew he was getting lots inthe day and it was a habit.

mckenzie Fri 03-Jun-05 20:35:06

I think DD finds it a bit of a chore to tell the truth. She managed 2 ounces last night before clamping her mouth shut and giving me the glazed 'I'd much rather be asleep' look! Bless her.

mckenzie Fri 03-Jun-05 21:29:49

anyone else please?

NickyJB Fri 03-Jun-05 21:42:14

My goodness - Im trying the Gina Ford routine on my 5 month DS and can't get him to drop the 3am feed yet!!!! Good Luck.

debs26 Fri 03-Jun-05 21:45:44

think ds3 was about 8 months when we dropped the 11pm feed. just decided to try it one night and he slept straight through. made me wonder how long i had been staying up unnecessarily! whats the worst that can happen if you try it ?

fatmomma Fri 03-Jun-05 21:50:25

It was obvious that my ds wanted to drop the 10pm feed at about 6 months as he was just losing interest and wouldn't suck. Sounds like your dd may be giving the same signals.

mckenzie Fri 03-Jun-05 21:59:37

thanks girls. I dont think I'll miss it out just yet as about 5 nights ago she guzzled 4 ounces but I'll keep looking for the signs.

charellie Fri 03-Jun-05 22:24:40

Mine were about 7 months. I tried on a evening when I didn't have much planned the next day so that if it all went wrong that I could cope with the tiredness. However luckily all went well and they continued to sleep through from their early evening feed until about 7.30am in the morning.

At the time I dropped it they were probably taking about 4 oz at the 10pm feed.

mummygow Fri 03-Jun-05 22:26:40

I'm sure when I did it with dd she was roughly about 6 months as she had obviously started eating solids and how I weaned her off her 3am and 11am feed was by reducing her milk but keeping the water - so for example 7oz water, 6 scoops milk and so on until we were down to 2oz kept that for 5-7nights and if she was sleeping through dropped them. The thing about the 3am feed was that sometimes if she did waken I just offered water instead of milk and she obviously thought I'm not waking up for that rubbish

debs26 Fri 03-Jun-05 22:26:43

maybe should have said that ds3 would take the whole bottle but still skipped it with no probs when we tried it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now