Talk

Advanced search

a mastitus mass as opposed to a blocked duct lump

(11 Posts)
hermykne Fri 03-Jun-05 16:08:48

just been to doc and he presrcibed antibiotic for mastitis, i thought it was thrush, but i have had the pain for 2 wks and just laz y to go to doc, but i havent had the fever or achy symtoms that are coming on the archived threads on mastitis?
the mass is quite large (size of a small egg)on the breastbone side of the breast and runs from under to top of boob, if u get my drift?!!

it was incredible painful last night at 4am and i took painkillers to go back to sleep
and feeding is v sore and ds seems to get nothing out of it, he comes off alot.

TIA

motherpeculiar Fri 03-Jun-05 16:15:25

one thing I found helpful when I had a blockage recently(although not as progressed as yours) was to put DD2 feeding at an unusual angle with her chin actually pressing on the lump. A couple of sessions with her legs thrown over my shoulders did the trick in getting it gone.

It was recommended by my midwife

had mastitis with DD1 and the fever was unmistakeable so it does sound like a blocked duct - which if not dealt with could turn into mastitis maybe? - I'm no expert.

hope someone who knows a bit more can sort you out

Tipex Fri 03-Jun-05 18:32:44

hermykne, its worth trying to 'milk' the area when feeding to try and clear the duct if its not too painful (def keep taking paracetamol). I have seen people use a sort of nit comb to do this!! but I guess fingers will do. Milk it towards nipple and keep feding of this side every time if you can. it does sound more like a blocked duct than mastitis at the mo but is def at risk of turning into mastitis. Also echo the thoughts on changing the way you hold baby, it may be that that particular area isnt being drained well so changing the hold may help baby to do this. Could try lying down under the arm hold. theres some good diagrams of feeding positions on kellymom. Good luck

hermykne Fri 03-Jun-05 18:58:46

thank you
re posistion ds is a nightmare at feeding he twists and wriggles all the time, has never just fed! but i'll try. he's 10mths now.

dinny Fri 03-Jun-05 19:19:25

Hermykyne, I had this when ds was younger - the combing with baby oil helped, plus expressed as ds also kept coming off and getting frustrated. I also lay ds on his back on bed and dangled boob over him (attractive!) your ds prob a bit old to lie still though. hth a little bit.

hunkermunker Fri 03-Jun-05 19:24:37

I had this too - fed DS with his chin pointing towards the lump and also used an afro comb to comb towards my nipple while standing under a very warm shower. That works a treat - the comb puts even pressure on it that your fingers just can't quite manage.

HTH and hope you get it sorted soon.

dinny Fri 03-Jun-05 19:41:34

btw, mine took about 48 hours to clear completely.

hermykne Fri 03-Jun-05 19:43:09

tipexi didnt get that comb thing , i.e literally a comb, i think its a bit sore for that
thanks dinny and hunker

just fed him of the affected boob and tried to milk it at the same time, but popped him over and he went off to bed content.

magazines and glass of wine now please

dinny Fri 03-Jun-05 19:48:38

Hermykyne, was sore doing the comb thing but baby oil or warm shower (and some vino!) should dull it a bit. maybe express too...?

hermykne Fri 03-Jun-05 19:50:41

thought i might just have a bath later thaks dinny!

pommymum Wed 01-Aug-07 23:39:26

I suffered with a sore breast for a week.(engorged & blocked, suspected mastitus)I didn't go to the doctor because I didn't suspect mastitus. (I had no flu symptoms) When the pain got worse, I finally went to the doctor. She told me I had mastitus & put me on anti-biotics for 10 days. It's been 10 days, and although the engorgement has gone & the ducts are clear, I still have pain. I was worried that I may have developed an absess that I might need draining?????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now