Talk

Advanced search

Formula fed baby waking up in the night having slept through (5 months)....advice please

(15 Posts)
electra Sat 12-Sep-09 09:46:01

Dd3 is on Aptamil First and she has four 8 ounce bottles a day. She has been sleeping through since she was 6 weeks old. Lately she has started waking up in the night, seeming hungry. She was 5 months old the other day.

What do you all do in this situation? My other children were breast fed so their routines were different.

I know there is research that shows weaning before 6 months can be damaging so I'm trying to avoid that for a bit longer yet.....anyone have any advice?

BertieBotts Sat 12-Sep-09 10:06:21

It's probably a growth spurt - best to hold out until 6 months for weaning, you are correct (Although my HV told me if you have given any formula it's OK to wean at 5 months, that is not true so if they say that you should take it with a large pinch of salt!)

Do you do a dream feed? If you could fit in another feed during the day it might help keep her satisfied through the night. Alternatively there is the stage 2 "hungry baby" milk which I believe takes longer to digest so keeps them fuller for longer, it doesn't have any extra calories though so you should probably look into it first before you make a decision.

The "good night milks" you can get have cereal added so I would definitely research those first if you are thinking of using them.

This Too Shall Pass!!

5inthebed Sat 12-Sep-09 10:29:27

Agree with the growth spurt. Have you tried the stage 2 milk? It is still the same stuff, but with a few more calories in.

My HV advised against using the good night milk as, like BB said, it contains baby rice, so not a good alternative. It is suitable from 6 months anyway, so no good for your DD3

BertieBotts Sat 12-Sep-09 10:35:37

I don't think the stage 2 milk does have more calories in, I think it's processed less to make it harder to digest. I could be wrong though.

electra Sat 12-Sep-09 11:13:48

Thanks for your advice. I suppose the best thing is for me to try to fit an extra bottle in during the day? I am not keen to give hungrier baby formula if there are no extra calories as she is obviously hungrier for a reason and tricking her body doesn't seem like a good idea...

LuluMaman Sat 12-Sep-09 11:15:03

feed her in the night. 4 bottles a day is not a vast amount, so offer more in the day if she seems hungry and/or give a bottle in the night

Seona1973 Sat 12-Sep-09 11:16:20

hungry milk has the same calories but it predominantly casein based (rather than whey based). The casein milk protein is harder to digest and may help your lo feel fuller for longer. Could you fit another bottle in during the day e.g. give a dream feed when you go to bed or give a feed sooner than 4 hourly (if that is your routine)?

electra Sat 12-Sep-09 11:49:34

Thanks - I am thinking of trying to feed every 3 hours instead of every 4 and see if that helps...

PuzzleRocks Sat 12-Sep-09 11:52:12

Hey Electra

I don't have a clue about formula but just wanted to hijack and say pop over and let us know how you are doing.
I hope you are well, other than tired obviously?

electra Sat 12-Sep-09 11:55:42

Hi PR - thanks, I am ok, have been depressed but seeing psychiatrist next week. How are you?

PuzzleRocks Sat 12-Sep-09 12:04:58

I'm good thanks. I'm skinny again but I have really wonky boobs. I mean several cup sizes different (WTF) so can't win em all I guess. grin

Good luck next week, I hope it helps. I know it sounds trite but there is always one of us knocking about if you need to sound off.

electra Sat 12-Sep-09 12:13:21

Thanks PR smile Hopefully your boobs will even out again - it can take time!

scaryhairycat Sat 12-Sep-09 12:28:34

I remember my dd did that at this age, I increased the formula and switched to the next stage, sorted the problem....until she started teething that is! wink

5inthebed Sat 12-Sep-09 21:28:32

I was told by my MW/HV that the stage 2 has more calories/carbs in, can't remember which one now. Sorry if this info is wrong.

electra Sat 12-Sep-09 22:46:55

Well I have just been to Tescos and according to the nutrition information the amount of calories is the same, and in fact the stage 1 formula has slightly more fat per 100 grams. Confusing eh?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now