Talk

Advanced search

should my local leisure centre have a mother and baby room?

(12 Posts)
booyhoo Fri 11-Sep-09 23:26:14

my ds has started a class in our leisure centre and last week i had to feed smaller ds while class was on. i asked at reception if there was a mother and baby room where i could do this and was directed to a smaller hall that was being used as a storage room. there were no seats and the only thing that indicated it was a changing room was the pull down changing table. the door was wedged open and staff were walking through to another room that led off it. needless to say i did not feed my baby there, i came back out and explained at reception that i wanted to feed my baby and that room wasnt suitable. i was told the only place was the swimming pool changing cubicles. at this point ds was getting really hungry so i went to the cubicle and fed him. this week i fed him beforehand but asked a different member of staff for future reference and was told that i could use the snooker room as 'hardly anyone goes in there'.

now i know i will be there every week and there will be times when ds needs fed whilst i am there. how do i go about getting them to assign a room specifically for that purpose or am i expecting too much? im genuinely shocked that a council owned leisure facility doesnt already have a mother and baby room.

llareggub Fri 11-Sep-09 23:29:56

Your life will be a lot less stressful if you just feed in public. If you are embarrassed about it you can always throw a muslin over your shoulder or take yourself off into the corner. I've never felt the need to use a mother and baby room. Life is too short to spend it tucked away for the sake of a flashing a bit of flesh.

BertieBotts Fri 11-Sep-09 23:31:02

I don't think ours has one. I have never needed one though as have been happy to just sit in the cafe and feed if I need to. I would have thought the changing cubicle would be ok if you wanted the privacy, ours are very nice and clean though so if they aren't clean I could see why you wouldn't want to.

booyhoo Fri 11-Sep-09 23:36:19

there is no cafe and the changing rooms are filthy plus it was a real balancing act trying to hold ds and do up my buttons. i did contemplate feeding him in the class but there are a lot of parents and other children and i just didnt feel comfortable. i think next time i will take him to the reception area as there are comfy seats and less of an audience.

moondog Fri 11-Sep-09 23:39:02

Booy, I second the feeding in public. Why sohuld youy hide away? Anyway, I assure you, noone is watching you or noticing what you are doing but a shawl or muslin can help your confidence.

Be proud of what you are doing!
smile

booyhoo Fri 11-Sep-09 23:49:26

you are right all of you, its just doing it that first time in a new place. i do feed in other public places but they happen to be places i'm regularly in and comfortable feeding in. i'll bite the bullet next time and just do it. is it the norm then for leisure centres and the like not to have mother and baby rooms? ive never needed to know before now.

moondog Fri 11-Sep-09 23:58:21

Start in a quiet corner maybe and see how you feel?
Dunno about legislation re M&B rooms but I never used one on over 3 years of breastfeeding.

IdrisTheDragon Sat 12-Sep-09 00:26:39

I don't think our leisure centre has a mother and baby room.

elkiedee Sat 12-Sep-09 00:57:24

I don't know if mine has a designated permanent room, there's a sign up indicating that bf is welcome wherever it's normal to eat/feed children, that they'll find you somewhere if asked, but I fed ds in the cafe after taking him swimming for the first time the other day.

skidoodle Sat 12-Sep-09 01:42:19

PMSL @ bfing being welcome where it's normal to eat children

[sorry, read quickly and had a real double take]

noodlesoup Sat 12-Sep-09 06:50:23

our leisure centre is brand new and there isn't a mother and baby room. There is a changing table in the disabled toilet and there are comfy seats in the cafe.

elkiedee Sat 12-Sep-09 22:05:02

Skidoodle, PMSL I just read back what I wrote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now