Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of quitting bf.......help!!!

(6 Posts)
niamh29 Fri 11-Sep-09 10:37:59

I'm bf my beautiful dd, she's 8 days old, but it is SO painful at the moment, her attachment seems fine and I'm very careful about positioning, my nipples got a little sore in the first couple of days and they haven't really mended yet which is sore but not all the problem, when she attaches it's agony for about 2 mins and then it eases off but the pull is also very sore, I'm at my wits end and starting to dread feeding her so I'm thinking of quitting the bf.....please help!!!!

lilymolly Fri 11-Sep-09 10:44:10

do you want to quit? or do you want to push through this?

Please go to a breastfeeding group, or ask a midwife or a breastfeeding councillor to check your latch- if that is fine, then ask if they can check for symptoms of thrush both in you and the baby

Nipple pain is a classic sign of nipple thrush

If that is all clear, it may be that its just a matter of time before your nipples get tougher sad

Are you using lansinoh nipple cream?

What about ringing the NCT Helpline?

NoGoodNicknamesLeft Fri 11-Sep-09 11:02:01

Hey Niamh, there's just been a long thread about nipple pain here with lots of info and links and at least one breast feeding counsellor's input. Also other mum's stories. The first coupla weeks are really tough cos you and your dd are just learning how to do it & you're probs really knackered! Hope you feel better soon and the bf'ing works out for you, if you feel it's the right thing for you both.

DwayneDibbley Fri 11-Sep-09 11:09:10

Message withdrawn

bessie26 Sat 12-Sep-09 21:44:59

I found the first few weeks bf very hard work, but am so glad i stuck with it (still bf 11months later)

I found the NCT bf helpline really useful, my HV also got a bf councilor to come round house & watch me bf to check latch etc, after we'd made a few adjustments things got much better smile

Good Luck!

nauseous Sun 13-Sep-09 22:14:11

what everyone else has said - stick with it it will get easier!! (and I moaned about having to BF A LOT!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now