Talk

Advanced search

Is wearing an underwire bra for one day going to give me instant mastitis?

(13 Posts)
plantsitter Thu 10-Sep-09 20:04:31

Just that really. Am going to a wedding. My dress looks foxy with underwire bra, frumpy with nursing bra. DD is not coming to access is not an issue.

TIA

thisisyesterday Thu 10-Sep-09 20:07:00

not necessarily, but i do know of 2 different people who ended up with a blocked duct after wearing an underwired bra once.
am sure you';lll get plenty of people saying that they've worn them no problem though.

at the end of the day i guess it increases the risk, so you aren't definitely going to get blocked ducts/mastitis, but there is a bigger risk of it.

BosomForAPillow Thu 10-Sep-09 20:12:43

I have an underwired nursing bra (from H&M). I wear it for a whole day, probably once a week and haven't ever had a problem. Maybe take the nursing bra in your bag and change if you start to get sore at all. How old is dd/how often do you usually bf during the day? If you're missing feeds and getting engorged that might be more of an issue...my dd is 11 months and can go all day without bf which might make all the difference.

Alternative could be new nursing bra - Mothercare do some good "T-shirt" non-wired ones which are quite supportive/cleavage enhancing!

MyCatIsABastardFleaBag Thu 10-Sep-09 20:15:26

ummmm... I'm BF and since DS was about 3 months (now nearly 7 mths) have only worn underwired bra's. I've got big norks (38FF) and the nursing bra's were supporting them somewhere around my knees. Also did same with DD who I fed til 15mths.

Probably not good advice but I guess what I'm saying is thate one day wont hurt.

dorisbonkers Thu 10-Sep-09 20:22:26

I only wear Anita underwired ones for 10 months now without a problem. They are well-fitting though.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Sep-09 20:31:43

It depends on how old your DD is I guess. I've worn one several times recently without any issues (DS is now 10 months old and still feeding) but when my DD was four weeks old we went to a wedding and I wore an underwired bra and spent the night either trying to get her to feed when she didn't want to or hand expressing under the shower to try and shift a huge blockage. I wore the bra on that occasion for about six hours.

I would take a pump with you just incase you need some help to shift a blockage.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Sep-09 20:33:11

and as doris says, the bra being well fitting is crucial. It's unlikely that any of your pre pregnany bras will fit the bill if your boobs have changed size due to pregnancy/BFing

llareggub Thu 10-Sep-09 20:35:58

I breastfed DS1 for over 2 years and as soon as he dropped daytime feeds I wore underwired bras. If I went out without him then I'd wear an underwired bra so once back in work I was in an underwire bra more often than not. I'm doing the same with DS2, who is 4 months.

I've never had mastitis.

plantsitter Thu 10-Sep-09 20:38:12

Thanks for all advice.

DD is 7 months so we're pretty well established. I do leak a bit if I don't feed her all day.

I think I will take the nursing bra with me as BforP suggests. And maybe the pump for good measure (imagines how huge mumsy mary poppins bag containing bras, brestpads and pumps will complement foxy grown-up-lady outfit).

LackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Sep-09 20:44:45

this is both foxy and big enough wink

BosomforaPillow, your name has made me smile as I sing that to DS when he cuddles in grin

plantsitter Thu 10-Sep-09 21:08:04

Ooh that's perfect Daisy! And so economical

browntrout Thu 10-Sep-09 21:19:12

I was back in underwired bras on the day I returned to work when DD1 was 6 months. I carried on feeding her til she was 20 months so it really wasnt an issue for me. You want to feel sexy and glam at the wedding - sorry but, keen bf-er that I am, nursing bras never did it for me!

Knickers0nMaHead Fri 11-Sep-09 10:26:23

I have only every worn underwired bras whilst feeding ds (10) and they have never caused anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now