Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis? Thrush? Both? Whatever, I am in agony, help!

(14 Posts)
Sputnik Thu 10-Sep-09 10:17:33

I have been bf for a while and have had blocked ducts and mastitis in the past, always managed to resolve it with a good feed or 2 which, though painful at the time, was worth it.

But this time I have had milk blisters and blocked ducts going on for a couple of weeks now which seemed to come and go but never quite clear up. Meanwhile the pain of feeding has become worse, pretty much unbearable in fact, and I have been getting agonising shooting pains for a couple of hours after feeding. Last night it was really really bad. Never had this before with blocked ducts and I read it could be a symptom of thrush.

I do have a doctor's apt for tomorrow, but has anyone experienced this? Are abs going to make the thrush worse? Can I take medication for both at the same time?

LackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Sep-09 11:07:01

Ouch sputnik, sounds nasty sad

Have you looked on the Breastfeeding network site?

It certainly sounds like it might be thrush, or it may be residual pain from the milk blisters, if they aren't clearing properly. I had a milk blister when bumble was little and it was agony.

I'm fairly sure you can take the ABs and the thrush treatment at the same time, but you might need a longer course of fluconazole just to make sure any worsening of the imbalance from the ABs isn't keeping the thrush going. You could also try taking some acidopholus or one of the herbal rememdies.....I have taken green bushflower essence in the past (as recommended by yhe lovely annobal) and I think the other one os grapeseed extract.

will hunt out the BfN links for you now smile

Is DS on the verge of naturally weaning do you think and losing his sucking skills? If he isn't draining the breast properly it might explain the problems. Alternatively milk blisters can be a symptom of oversupply issues, but not sure how likely that is with an older child.

hopefully tiktok and others will be along later with some more useful advice. If I see any of the extended BFers around I'll try and point them in this direction smile

LackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Sep-09 11:13:08

thrush

mastitis

kellymom on milk blisters

Are they happy to prescribe oral fluconazole over there? Or if not, can you get some over the counter?

thinking about it, I would perhaps be tempted to treat the thrush first, and not bother with the ABs as they can make things worse, although if the mastitis is such that you are feverish and have red lines on your boobs, then you definately need the ABs.

Sputnik Thu 10-Sep-09 11:24:39

Thanks Daisy, we are on the verge of stopping bf here (my choice, DS is still enthusiastic!) so down to 1 or 2 feeds a day anyway. He does seem to have a painful latch though atm, which may be at the root of the problem.

I am confused though as I can't even seem to express from the side that's giving problems, which makes me think he's sucking harder there, hence more pain, it's a vicious circle really.

I think I do have both, the upper part of the breast is red and hot, though I don't have fever. But the pain afterwards sounds more like thrush.

justbeme Sat 12-Sep-09 21:42:24

Thanks for that I have just learnt something - I thought I just had a sore nipple and didnt realise it was a "milk Blister"
Mine is caused by L falling asleep and "chewing" I reckon - Perhaps the time to wean is nigh!

LackaDAISYcal Sat 12-Sep-09 22:05:23

wow, good on you too for still feeding. I can't see me getting that far with bumble at all!

how are things now sputnik?

Sputnik Sun 13-Sep-09 22:23:31

Well doctor gave me abs, didn't seem to think it was thrush, as no sign in DS's mouth, or white stuff on nipples. The inflamation is going, slowly, but there is still a lump, and it is still very painful after feeding. She referred me for a scan too, apparently you can't do a mamograph while bf, hopefully nothing to worry about, but I have been bricking it all weekend anyway.

justbeme Sun 13-Sep-09 22:29:39

Oh - Im sure it'll be fine - I feel so much better today after using that heat pad. Let us know how you get on.

morocco Sun 13-Sep-09 22:32:12

you wouldn't have white stuff on nipples - nipples would look red/pink and shiny - if it is thrush. if the pain goes on for hours afterwards I'd be tempted to think thrush. no medical background but plenty of experience of other family members getting a bacterial infection which then opens up for a thrush infection as well so I'm sure it must be common. (ds1 didn't have any symptoms when I had thrush although he had had thrush on bum a few weeks earlier.)

LackaDAISYcal Sun 13-Sep-09 22:40:13

I agree with morocco Sputnik; nipples would be pink and shiny rather than having white stuff. It's also common for baby not to have any signs in their mouth; DD never did, but DS2's gob was carpeted in white before I realised blush

I would see how the lump goes and then if still painful get back for some fluconazole for you and some daktarin gel for DS. you could also try applying some daktarin gel to your nips in the meantime.....

Try not to worry about the scan; I'm sure it's just the blockage or if anything more, a cyst at worst as anything more sinister tends not to be painful afaik.

Sputnik Mon 14-Sep-09 09:44:53

Thanks everyone, the nipple is red and shiny on the affected side, sensitive, has some cracks that don't heal and the pain does go on for hours afterwards, last night it was as bad as before I saw the doc. Re-reading the BFN leaflet it really does sound like it. However I have no problems on the other side.

So what do I do, print out the leaflet for her to read? She obviously wasn't very clued up about bf issues, when I told her I was still feeding DS at 2 her first question was "why?", she then went on to assume for some reason I was bf exclusively hmm, and told me that after 2 years I would have hardly any milk left. Shame, as otherwise she was qute nice.

Glad you're feeling better JBM, nice to see I'm not the only nutter extended breastfeeder. I do want to stop actually and we're down to 1 or 2 feeds a day, but I seem to have had constant problems with blocked ducts on one side or the other recently and I'm a bit scared to.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 14-Sep-09 10:03:49

shame about the doc sputnik. I'd take the BfN leaflet with you and show her. and if she isn't willing to prescribe the fluconazole, you can get them quite cheap, like HERE. Canesten branded ones that our local chemist sells are £12 each shock

I know the dose is 150mg loading dose and then 50-100mg a day for ten days, but I have taken the 150mg tabs for seven days before and it cleared up fine <slaps wrist for self medicating>

Sputnik Mon 14-Sep-09 11:32:21

Did you give the baby anything?

LackaDAISYcal Mon 14-Sep-09 11:38:29

I gave him oral daktarin sputnik, and applied that to my nips as well....makes it a bit sticky, but definately helped with the pink and shinyness and meant I didn't have to worry about wiping canesten cream off before feeding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now