Talk

Advanced search

Persistant thrush

(5 Posts)
Caro1302 Wed 09-Sep-09 22:30:30

Does anyone have any words of wisdom please for dealing with recurrent thrush? DD is 5 weeks old and we got oral/nipple thrush when she was 3 weeks old. The GP gave me Nyastatin for her and Daktacort for me, which cleared my symptoms up but not hers and so I got it again.

I went back to the GP last week with the leaflet from the BFN's website and he prescribed fluconazole for me and another pot of Nyastatin for DD. My symptoms cleared up within a few days (now day 5) but DD still has a white coating on her tongue. This evening I've suddenly got nipple pain all over again and shooting pains within the breasts so I know the thrush is still there. DD has almost finished the course of Nyastatin and it doesn't seem to be effective. I think half the time she just swallows it or spits it out, although I use my finger to spread it around her mouth as best as I can.

Anyway, I have some gentian violet- I actually started using this last week but was horrified by my DD's purple stained mouth so stopped straightaway. Does anyone have any experience of using gentian violet? Is there anything else I can get for DD? My GP doesn't seem to know much about infant thrush.

This is so frustrating- I had a huge battle to establish BF with DS who's 2.5, and this time around BF has been a fantastic experience so far with no pain after the first few days, excellent weight gain and lots of public BF, all of which was a problem last time. The one thing that's spoiling it is this thrush which I just can't seem to shift. Any experiences or advice would be very gratefully received.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 09-Sep-09 22:37:24

How many days of fluconazole were you prescribed? I needed 17 consecutive days to shift my thrush, but I had had it for some time and it had got deep into my breasts.

I would go back to your GP, and ask for more Fluconazole, and Nystatin and Daktacort. Make a followup appointment for the end of the 10 day course and if you feel that things are completely fixed then ask for more treatment.

Alongside this - wash all bedding and bras at 60, iron your bras, change breast pads at every feed. If you use reuseable nappies then wash those at 60 too, or even think about using disposables while the thrush clears.
Keep your diet as low in sugar as you can.

Hope you get it cleared, breast thrush is a miserable thing.

Caro1302 Wed 09-Sep-09 22:50:25

Thank you, that's really useful to know. I was prescribed 7 days of a 2 x daily 50mg capsule.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 09-Sep-09 22:55:22

IIRC, that isn't the dose that the BfN recommend? I'm sure it is supposed to be a high dose on day one and then 10 days? I did some googling and found a NHS Scotland page which had the same doseage information. I got my GP to pull that page up while I was with her.

Definitely worth a trip back to your GP!

Caro1302 Wed 09-Sep-09 23:28:12

Yes you're right Alibaba- my GP was very reluctant to prescribe it at all, and he insisted on phoning the hospital to discuss the dosage with a doctor. I'm going to go back with some more facts. Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now