Talk

Advanced search

Best way to stop Breast feeding?

(6 Posts)
pingapengin Wed 09-Sep-09 14:12:54

Im sorry if this subjects been done to death.

My DD is nearly 2 and still loves to BF, if we are out and about shes not bothered but iif we are at home shes constantly demanding boobie and pulling down my top (not a good look!) she also wants to "hold" the other breast as she feeds whick is just abit uncomfortable to say the least.

Ive never really enjoyed breastfeeding and had an ideal image of her gradually cutting down when i returned to work, but no that hasnt happened!

Any advice? is cold turkey best?

I know there are still benefits of BFing at her age but i have really had enough now.

Thanks.

ohmeohmy Wed 09-Sep-09 15:30:01

I think it is personal choice really. I had to go cold turkey with both mine when they were same age mainly because I was so tired as they weren't sleeping and the feeding on top was too much for me. I left them overnight with my mum and then just didn't start again. DD likes warm cow milk, DS never drinks milk at all.

pingapengin Wed 09-Sep-09 15:40:02

Thanks, she doesnt feed overnight and will drink cows milk.

She seems to demand boobie if shes bored/upset! i wouldnt mind but she fidgets terribly (stands whilst feeding!)

I think i may do cold turkey.

thisisyesterday Wed 09-Sep-09 16:01:43

i wouldn't go cold turkey i think it's very stressful for both of you.

i would try distracting. offering a toy, game, dvd, book, other fave food/drink if she asks.
saying "hang on a minute mummy has to do X..." and leaving for a moment
saying !"you can have breast after we've done x,y,z"

quite often when a child is distracted they forget they've asked.
see if you can plan a week with lots of activities to take her mind off it and maybe just continue with m,orning and evening for a bit and then work on weaning off those too

pingapengin Wed 09-Sep-09 18:51:33

Thanks i am attempting distracting but shes very persistant!

Will drop it down to morning and bectime and see if that works.

StayFrosty Wed 09-Sep-09 18:56:01

I dropped it down to morning and bedtime, then to bedtime, then one night just gave water at bedtime. I was expecting a big fuss, but she was happy as larry, it made me feel a bit sad contrarily enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now