Talk

Advanced search

No milk expressed with Medela mini - help!

(8 Posts)
hobbgoblin Wed 09-Sep-09 14:09:09

Been bf for 6 weeks now and all going well, DD gaining extremely well, feeding is in a routine in that she feeds when she wants, is satisfied, etc. I take no notice of when she has fed and couldn't tell you how often she feeds, etc. Only feel engorged when she sleeps 13 hours at night, the rest of the time breasts feel floppy iyswim.

So, I tried expressing from one side while she fed from the other last night with the Medela mini electric pump and I got NO milk at all. The suction was set to maximum too. Was going to try and go out for a few hours this eve but have no milk to leave! help...

Picante Wed 09-Sep-09 14:11:36

Sounds like you didn't get a letdown. If you're stressed about not getting any milk then you won't get any milk iyswim. The suction level shouldn't make a difference. Try to relax if you can - don't look at what's coming out.

Some women just don't get on with pumps - have you tried hand expressing?

hobbgoblin Wed 09-Sep-09 14:14:26

I hand expressed at 2 weeks and got about 4oz which she happily took from a bottle. But I felt engorgement then so it was far easier. I got a little let down when I stopped pumping and she was still feeding (went over my jeans, argh!) So i tried with pump again but nothing.

wellbalanced Wed 09-Sep-09 17:09:42

I have a medela mini pump and a T T pump, Had been expressing regular and built up a supply in freezer, few week down line decided to start expressing again to stock up and got anything from nothing-2oz, I panicked as leave DS once a week with DH. Then got an avent pump and in two days ive got off 16oz!!! (have masitis at mo so helps if express more on my V sore side-wouldn't rec expressing 16oz normally!!)

But my point is i have milk but with some pumps cant get it out?
Obviously baby is v good at getting it i know he's getting enough.

picc Wed 09-Sep-09 20:41:20

same here, wellbalanced

when I was having supply worries, and trying to express to increase it, I could get NOTHING out using a Medela mini.

Switched to an Avent Isis hand pump and got a decent amount out (for me).

Now...7 months on and back at work.... I've switched to the electric version of the Avent manual one, and that also works well.

So the Medela mini just didn't work for me, for whatever reason. I've heard the Medela swing is better?

kingfix Wed 09-Sep-09 20:45:31

same here - max of 40 mls with the medela (swing) but as much as i like with the avent hand pump. I think different pumps suit different people. Does anyone know if it is possible to try out breast pumos before you buy (to save the vast outlay I have made?)

kingfix Wed 09-Sep-09 20:46:13

i meant breast pumps, really

EmmaLouise1982 Wed 09-Sep-09 21:02:48

I think you can hire them from NCT x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now