Talk

Advanced search

Cows Milk - advice please!

(3 Posts)
latestincarnation Tue 08-Sep-09 20:31:49

My ds is now 10.5mths and being BF twice daily. I'm starting to get ready to stop at 12 mths. I was chatting to a friend today and her ds refused to drink cows milk at one year, and 4 months later she is still struggling.

So I got back today and thought I'd give him some and see (he's never had anything other than BF/water before, not even EBM) and he loved it - normally only drinks 10-20ml water with his meal, but drank 50ml + of whole milk.

So now I'm not sure if just leave it until he's one or start giving him a little, not as a BF replacer just yet.

Why is the advice not to give cows milk drinks before One year - is it allergy based or is it over simplifying advice so parents do not stray onto it away from formula or BF ing?

WWYD? (and if anyone say he's 6 weeks away from one year and I'm being PFB then fair dos, but I'm genuinely interested in why he couldn't have milk unless it was in cooking - should he only have heated? I've never heated in his porridge!)

Anyone know?!! Thanks.

CMOTdibbler Tue 08-Sep-09 20:42:27

They shouldn't have cm as their main drink until 1 - it doesn't have enough nutrition to replace bm or formula. But giving some in addition to those is OK, as long as you don't replace bfs with drinking cows milk

latestincarnation Tue 08-Sep-09 21:07:42

Thanks! I thought it would be ok, but you never know! Just so glad he enjoyed it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now