Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to treat oral thrush in 3 week old?

(5 Posts)
cornflakegirl Tue 08-Sep-09 17:34:50

DS2 is nearly 3 weeks old. When the HV came last week, she said she thought he had oral thrush. He has a white coating on his tongue that doesn't rub off, but no other symptoms. He is feeding well, and I have no symptoms. He has had the white tongue since very early on (I think at least two weeks - don't remember when I first noticed it as I originally thought it was just milk).

I'm seeing the HV again tomorrow, and she will probably want to treat the thrush because his tongue hasn't improved. I'm not sure if I should treat it, as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I saw a Breastfeeing Network leaflet linked on another thread that said it wasn't necessary to treat if a white tongue was the only symptom. But I don't know if the thrush can go away by itself?

(Don't know if it's relevant, but DS2 has had antibiotic eyedrops for sticky eye for 10 days. We're also using a dummy for some nighttime sleeps. (I think both of those things can increase the risk of thrush.))

Reallytired Tue 08-Sep-09 18:29:45

Thrush can be truely evil and if I was you i would treat it before it gets established. All you need is a bit of dakatrin gel. Why are you so against treating thrush.

Thrush can be killed off by the body's immune system. The problem comes when mother and baby keep reinfecting each other.

cornflakegirl Tue 08-Sep-09 22:11:29

I'm not particcularly against treating thrush. Just don't want to give a newborn medicine unless he actually needs it.

kitkatqueen Tue 08-Sep-09 22:32:52

Thrush is a very uncomfortable thing to have, whether its in your boobs or in your mouth. If you have no symptoms as yet then you are very lucky, but unlikely to stay that way in all honesty. Once thrush gets a good toehold it can be really hard to get over. I have had it 3 times whilst breasteeding - once each for my 1st 3 children, so far I haven't had it yet with baby no4, but I am looking out for it - believe me! 1st time round it took several courses of treatment to sort it and my b/feeding councillor told me then that most women with thrush quit b/feeding within 10 days because of the pain level.

Daktarin gel has been used with preterm babies with no probs. imvho you really are best to hit it now and make sure its gone. If nothing else it will be painful for your baby.

as reallytired says reinfection is a big problem, you had would need to ask for some daktarin cream for your boobs too to ensure its eliminated.

good luck

cornflakegirl Wed 09-Sep-09 15:02:18

thanks both. have doctor's appt this afternoon to get it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now