Talk

Advanced search

6month old biting whilst bfeeding - any advice??

(9 Posts)
thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Mon 07-Sep-09 23:05:11

Hiya,

Am off to bed in a minute but just wanted to ask for some advice from you lovely ladies before I go.

DD is 6 1/2 months old, she has started this week biting me every so often whilst feeding. I think its when she feels the milk isn't coming quickly enough and it hurts like... [insert four letter word of your choice here]!!

She has no teeth yet which is the saving grace but even without I'm keen to stop her gummy torture.

Any ideas what I can do? Hadn't planned to stop bf anytime soon but it really does hurt.

Thanks in advance, I'll check back in tomorrow.

thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Tue 08-Sep-09 10:34:55

bump????

marenmj Tue 08-Sep-09 10:51:43

ohh, bump for me too - was about to post the same Q.

At six months I would just say "ow" to startle her and pull her away from my nipple. She learned fairly quickly that biting = milk taken away.

Eight months on she now looks at me, bites me, and laughs!

elkiedee Tue 08-Sep-09 10:53:22

bumping for you.

My 7 month old bites with his 4 teeth, two full and two part grown. I don't have an easy solution. Sometimes I put him down for a few minutes, partly to let myself calm down and not get too cross, partly in the hope he makes an association between biting and his feed stopping.

Have you started weaning? I'm doing BLW - he did have two teeth when we started but it's not apparently strictly necessary. One of my hopes from it is that he can bite his other food, not me.

marenmj Tue 08-Sep-09 10:57:37

elkiedee we are BLW 2 months on and DD happily scarfs anything we put in front of her.

She still bites me occasionally when feeding and she has four teeth so it REALLY hurts. She thinks it's hilarious so of course I'm doing my best to look really hurt and not laugh at her laughing because I don't want to encourage her.

SO hard to not laugh when a baby is laughing though. I end up all contorted with tears welling up (it HURTS) and turning my head to giggle so she can't see.

CharCharGabor Tue 08-Sep-09 10:59:32

Push her head into the breast, will block nose and mean she has to let go to breathe

Maybe offer some teething stuff before a feed

Can also break latch by sliding your finger between their gums (warning - don't do this when they have teeth, it hurts!)

After breaking latch put her down and ignore for a minute or so. Hopefully she'll learn not to do it. I didn't react loudly as I thought DD might turn it into a game, just said no biting as I put her down

Stick with it, it's probably just a phase. DD did this just before getting her first tooth at 6 months, at 2.1 years she is still feeding with plenty of teeth and no problems smile

HTH a little.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 08-Sep-09 11:14:50

hi there; there's some advice on kellymom on biting.

My DD went through a phase of this and it took me a while to realise it was either as a result of a tooth being on the verge of popping through, or else she was coming to the end of the feed and was full up and getting bored. I used to unlatch her and put her on the floor facing away from me saying a firm "NO!" (well after the first few times of shouting out in pain which she thought was just the funniest thing!) and I would be poised with a hooked finger and watching her throughout incase she tried it. She soon got the message that it wasn't acceptable, and if she wasn't finished when she saw the hooked finger coming at her, she would puch my hand away as if to say "I won't bite" and she would unlatch herself if she was finished. It was a phase though and stopped as soon as her four top and bottom teeth were in.

thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Tue 08-Sep-09 13:20:04

Thanks guys, will practice my 'no' in a stern voice and will hover with a hooked finger!
Intertestingly, I thought the other day that maybe a tooth was on its way so maybe there is? Thanks again.

elkiedee Tue 08-Sep-09 18:41:44

marenmj, I know what you mean about babies laughing - when ds2 wakes in the middle of the night and wants to play I want to cry sometimes about not being allowed to sleep and then I look at him laughing and I melt.

Interesting advice Daisy, will have a go at that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now